Off Grid Power

Relax in southern comfort on the east bank of the Mississippi. You're just around the corner from Beale Street and Sun Records. Watch the ducks, throw back a few and tell us what's on your mind.
Gold

Off Grid Power

Post by Gold »

I've been sorting through my options for powering my off grid camp. It looks like the "main cabin" won't be there for a few years. I'm using tricked out garden sheds to start off with. For now I have two sheds. One is the sleeping/cooking shed and the other is the water shed with a shower and sink. The composting toilet will be in a separate outhouse. There is also a water well and associated pump.

I have a battery system that I will use to power the sleeping cabin and another for the water cabin. I have four 6 volt 220Ah batteries that I'm making into two 12 volt systems.

My first thought was to bring power down from the pole and charge the batteries down the hill and lug them up the hill for use. It would work okay for most of the year when I can drive the batteries up the hill. In the winter I think it would be too much work to do it by hand. Those suckers are heavy! I'd have to use a sled. I think that's a no go.

I've decided to start with cheapish electric start gas generator. The Generac portable 6500W has an electric start. It's not brought out to terminals so I'd have to modify it. All the portable generators say do not start with load attached. I called Generac. The tech said the portables aren't designed for remote start. He suggested another model permanent install model which was over twice the price. He let it slip that is was basically the same engine as the portable in a box. So I think I'm good with the portable. The well pump is about 2800W at start up and about 1500W while running.

I'll start by using it to power the well pump. That's easy as I just have to piggyback the electric start contacts on the switch in the pressure tank.

After that I'll start experimenting with interfacing it with the battery charging system. Something like this http://www.wholesalesolar.com/2911442/m ... -gen-start

After I get everything sorted out with this gas generator and I'm satisfied everything is as I want it I will drop the big bucks on a slow turning diesel generators. That's the plan for now at least.

I'm making the cables myself as I enjoy that sort of thing. I've never dealt with such large gauge wire before. I'm using a NEMA enclosure and Phoenix DIN rail connectors for distribution. Every device will have a switch and a circuit breaker.
JR.

Re: Off Grid Power

Post by JR. »

Is it out of the questions to grab power from the pole?

Maybe bury a small power line to charge the batteries..

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture", do not support mob hatred.
Gold

Post by Gold »

JR. wrote:Is it out of the questions to grab power from the pole?

Maybe bury a small power line to charge the batteries..

JR
That was the original plan. There is a shed that is about 150 ft. from the pole. The place the power needs to be is over 500 ft. from the pole. I haven't consulted an electrician but I, assumed a 500 ft. run of 220VAC was either a no go or would take a hideous amount of copper in addition to trenching and laying conduit. In addition I don't want any more construction to happen until next spring, for a variety of reasons.

I decided lugging two sets of batteries (at a hundred pounds per set) up and down the hill by hand in the winter isn't something I want to do.
JR.

Post by JR. »

Ask the power company, this is not a new problem.

JR
Gold

Post by Gold »

JR. wrote:Ask the power company, this is not a new problem.

JR
I know it would take a hideous amount of copper and a lot of labor. No thanks. I've been doing a lot of IR drop calculations for the battery setup. Plus I will know how to design and install off grid generator and battery systems. Couldn't hurt.
JR.

Post by JR. »

I've seen some pretty long runs of 220V.

Before hurricane Katrina I had my own transformer maybe 50' feet or less from my house, with high voltage lines feeding my personal transformer. After Katrina took out my pole, and transformer, and high voltage wires, I got piggy backed onto a neighbor's transformer, actually one transformer is shared between 2 other neighbors and me. My 220V feed is now easily 100' or more long. My meter is on my end of the wire, so they eat the wire losses.

I've seen some longer low voltage feeds around but generally for lighting or small farm buildings, not serious current.

Do what you want but it shouldn't cost anything to ask the power company what your options are. This is surely not a unique problem.

JR

PS: Elon musk would love to sell you solar panels and a super battery. :lol:
Gold

Post by Gold »

JR. wrote: This is surely not a unique problem.
PS: Elon musk would love to sell you solar panels and a super battery. :lol:
It's not a unique problem. I think I'd need about 1500ft. of 1/0 or 2/0 gauge. Plus labor and conduit. I'd rather spend the money on a generator (s). Price per watt is expensive with just a generator. With a generator and battery setup the cost per watt is significantly lowered as the generator sits idle most of the time.

I'd love to do solar but the array would have to be huge for any significant power. When they are four times as powerful and half the size the time will be right.
Gold

Post by Gold »

Here is the beginnings of the DC power distribution box. The units to be powered will enter through NEMA cable glands as well as the 2 gauge feeder cable. I will have a 200W power inverter to accommodate bits and bobs. The output of the power inverter will be terminated with Neutrik Powercons. I'll break those out to quad boxes. No plenum or in wall wiring.

Gold

Post by Gold »

I got as far as I could in the shop. I'll finish it up on site. There is some room for expansion.

Gold

Post by Gold »

I ran into a couple of snags so I didn't get it up and running. I was too optimistic to think I could plug something in I've never dealt with and have it work. I brought everything home and will do a complete setup in the shop first.

We made due with LED camping lanterns. Cooking is propane burners and open fire. It was very satisfying to be able to stay there overnight after a year and so much work. Hopefully I can get the electric going this weekend and we can go the following weekend.