sous vide

Relax in southern comfort on the east bank of the Mississippi. You're just around the corner from Beale Street and Sun Records. Watch the ducks, throw back a few and tell us what's on your mind.
mediatechnology

Re: sous vide

Post by mediatechnology »

Geese do have "attitude."

My friend down the street has goats.
These particular goats are pets and very well-behaved.
It was a sight seeing him with the goat in the backseat of his BMW wagon taking it to the Vet.
Almost out of Green Acres.
Gold

Post by Gold »

We had chickens for the early part of my childhood. My father was still working on his PhD. in animal behavior using chickens. I find it pretty funny now because he's not very good with animals. When I think about how my childhood dog was trained it makes me cringe.

I knew some people with "guard geese".
Last edited by Gold on Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mediatechnology

Post by mediatechnology »

I new some people with "guard geese".
I've been chased by a few and they can be very aggressive.
Guard Geese and a pack of small Chihuahuas would be my preference over one large dog.

We've got space for chickens here but we also have Foxes, Coyotes and an occasional Bobcat.
Gold

Post by Gold »

In the dog world there is a distinction between a dog that's a sentinel and a guard dog. For instance in a Tibetan monastery the Lhassa Apso's would sound the alarm barks while the Tibetan mastiff would dispatch unwanted guests.
JR.

Post by JR. »

I got bit a few times as a kid, and from years of dealing with loose dogs as a jogger, the main relationship I try to impose with any new dog I encounter is that I am the alpha dog.... I also try to respect their territory... I don't expect them to not get aggressively defensive on their home turf, but out on the open road, I am the big dog (alpha)... I remember one local dog who was a huge PIA every time I jogged past his house, but when he would go walkabout, he gave my property a wide berth, expecting and getting a similar response from me (no I didn't bark at him, but I kept him out of my yard :lol: ).

Young dogs have more testosterone(?) or the dog variant dogesterone? So young dogs bark more to stir up the other dogs but are less likely to believe that they are dominant. Two dogs are exponentially noisier than one dog alone. One technique I try to use with strange dogs is to just tell them to shut up and stop barking. They are probably told to shut up several times a day by their owners, so often defer to me as alpha.

JR
[edit] Funny how the world works, today while riding my bike a very aggressive bitch got loose and chased me, she has been barking at me for months but was loose today... I told her to shut up, and nothing, she kept chasing me... I couldn't even scare her more than I scared myself by aiming for her, so i just put enough distance away from her home base that she stopped chasing me. Looked like she might have recently had puppies. That might explain her agressive behavior, but my shut up that works so well for me while jogging didn't do squat on the bike. One obvious difference, while jogging I can stop running to change the dynamic.. on a bike you generally don't want to stop because a dog is chasing you. So long story short YMMV [/edit ]
Cancel the "cancel culture", do not support mob hatred.
Gold

Post by Gold »

JR. wrote:and from years of dealing with loose dogs as a jogger, the main relationship I try to impose with any new dog I encounter is that I am the alpha dog.... are probably told to shut up several times a day by their owners, so often defer to me as alpha.
My Dad would let the childhood dog run at night. She definitely chased joggers. That's being a pretty poor neighbor to me. I would never do that.

Most dogs are used to commands. Making a lot of aggressive noise usually calms them down. Dogs rely on you being scared of them. Even if you are getting bit by a big dog you can usually do a pile driver. They will be stunned and run away. If worst comes to worst stick a thumb through their eye into their brain. That stops any living thing.
JR.

Post by JR. »

Gold wrote:
JR. wrote:and from years of dealing with loose dogs as a jogger, the main relationship I try to impose with any new dog I encounter is that I am the alpha dog.... are probably told to shut up several times a day by their owners, so often defer to me as alpha.
My Dad would let the childhood dog run at night. She definitely chased joggers. That's being a pretty poor neighbor to me. I would never do that.
Where I live in the south even though we have leash laws, I see owners who don't seem to care if their pets get run over...and the police are not going to do anything unless they get a bunch of complaints.
Most dogs are used to commands. Making a lot of aggressive noise usually calms them down. Dogs rely on you being scared of them. Even if you are getting bit by a big dog you can usually do a pile driver. They will be stunned and run away. If worst comes to worst stick a thumb through their eye into their brain. That stops any living thing.
I pretty much had them under control while jogging, but on the bike unless i stop they assume I am running away from them and they get even more aggressive. Some are smart enough to see if I steer the bike at them, but the one today didn't blink before I did. Depending on where it happens if level or down hill they will lose interest soon enough. Some dogs are pretty fast, but not very fast for very long.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture", do not support mob hatred.