Entropy

Relax in southern comfort on the east bank of the Mississippi. You're just around the corner from Beale Street and Sun Records. Watch the ducks, throw back a few and tell us what's on your mind.
JR.

Re: Entropy

Post by JR. »

Gold wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:20 pm
JR. wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:12 pm The green new deal is a feel good concept (wish list), not a viable plan.
Right, just ask the people who wrote it. No actual legislation was ever written or proposed. Fox ginned up a giant straw man. They are good at that.
Fox?

It was political campaign virtue signaling, and when the senate called a vote on it no democratic senators (even the one who cosponsored it with AOC) would attach their name to it. If it was real legislation it would get fleshed out later in committee, but this was always smoke and mirrors.

Not unlike a spate of bills passed in the house because they know they wont ever get voted on in the senate... political theater to impress the low information voters.

Sorry this sounds all too familiar... Somebody called me a racist yesterday on social media, but i am familiar with rules for radicals so didn't take the bait.. :lol:

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture", do not support mob hatred.
Gold

Post by Gold »

JR. wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:44 pm It was political campaign virtue signaling, and when the senate called a vote on it no democratic senators (even the one who cosponsored it with AOC) would attach their name to it. If it was real legislation it would get fleshed out later in committee, but this was always smoke and mirrors.
Right, it was a Republican political stunt. Like I said, The Green New Deal was never proposed as legislation. The Republicans introduced it as legislation when the authors never meant it as legislation. That's why no Democrat voted for it.
Gold

Post by Gold »

JR. wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:44 pm It was political campaign virtue signaling, and when the senate called a vote on it no democratic senators (even the one who cosponsored it with AOC) would attach their name to it. If it was real legislation it would get fleshed out later in committee, but this was always smoke and mirrors.
Right, it was a Republican political stunt. Like I said, The Green New Deal was never proposed as legislation. The Republicans introduced it as legislation when the authors never meant it as legislation. That's why no Democrat voted for it.

Politics is theater. The Republican house passed the Obamacare repeal something like 32 times. I think perhaps 10 times would have been enough. The Benghazi hearings lasted six years with no indictments, no reprimands, no nothing. They did it over and over and over again. Didn't stop house Republicans from their political theater bills even when they knew Senate Republicans wouldn't pass it.
JR.

Post by JR. »

should I respond twice? :lol:

JR
JR.

Post by JR. »

I feared since I hired a contractor to put gutters on my house (due next week) it might never rain again, but after I washed and waxed my car last weekend, for the first time in maybe 2 years, the heavens were motivated to open up again and dropped 2" of new rain just overnight.

My cleaned out silt buckets were not well established in place anchored to the bottom of the ditch like before and ended up pushed downstream... I looped a cable through the pail handles tied to a tree so they were both easily recovered, but one of the two short sections of drain pipe I use to steer the low flow water into the second silt bucket was washed 60 to 70' down toward the far back ditch.

I reset them all so hopefully they will get anchored in place again after they collect some new silt and get heavier. My 6" buried drain has made quick work of the down pour after only several hours, but now comes the slow runoff from uphill for days. This slow runoff is where I suspect the majority of silt accumulation comes from so my silt traps are back in place and silt laden low flow runoff happening for the immediate future.

JR
JR.

Post by JR. »

Back on the entropy train, I just replaced my side door doorbell button that has been broken for as long as I can remember. Oddly the cheapest button I found was branded heath/zenith and made in china, no surprise there. For around $5 I got a cheap plastic button with internal light (LED? but could be lamp).

Surprise surprise, with the new doorbell button installed, I now have a functional door bell, with fancy lighted button... I guess now I need to replace the also broken and missing front door doorbell button. :lol:

I do not invite foot traffic, but occasionally I do not hear delivery vehicles in my driveway when there is a lot of noise around. Right now they are cutting grass at the post office across the street so noisy enough in the neighborhood.

JR

{edit- I have to resist pressing my door bell button every time I walk by and see the lighted button. After hearing the iconic doorbell ring again, I expect my dog to start barking. That hasn't happened since I had to put him down in the mid 80s. :( [/edit]
billshurv

Post by billshurv »

This weekend entropy hit me. Wife and kids have been down with some flu thing all week so of course weekend was MY turn to feel carp.

The shower is still playing up and the heating block had started leaking on it. Replaced that and it still shuts down after 3 minutes. Bother. So its probably the water solenoid. Faced with bad money after good or drilling a new hole in the tiles for a brand new shower for £80 I got a new one. Sometimes I have to admit defeat, but it smarts and I'll probably completely dissassemble the old unit to find what had failed.

Had I replaced all the bits that fail (basically the shower internals) cost would have been same as a whole new shower. Lesson learned...
JR.

Post by JR. »

billshurv wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:30 pm This weekend entropy hit me. Wife and kids have been down with some flu thing all week so of course weekend was MY turn to feel carp.

The shower is still playing up and the heating block had started leaking on it. Replaced that and it still shuts down after 3 minutes. Bother. So its probably the water solenoid. Faced with bad money after good or drilling a new hole in the tiles for a brand new shower for £80 I got a new one. Sometimes I have to admit defeat, but it smarts and I'll probably completely dissassemble the old unit to find what had failed.

Had I replaced all the bits that fail (basically the shower internals) cost would have been same as a whole new shower. Lesson learned...
I went down a similar rabbit hole, if not worse, trying to repair my old (poulon) chain saw a couple years back. I replaced pretty much every part that could be unbolted, and still no love... I even took it to my local small engine whisperer and he couldn't fix it...

I eventually bought a new stihl saw and don't regret it.

JR

PS: Speaking of chainsaws, this weekend I decided to proactively attack the kudzu choking my power pole overtaking my phone line connection... I worried that the kudzu left unchecked could interrupt my service. I planed to budget a couple hours on saturday morning with my branch loper to cut back the kudzu vines. The obvious primary vine was around 1" diameter, so relatively easy work. After I cleared away the superficial brush I found the kudzu was more serious than I expected. I even ended up using my chainsaw on one vine that was 4" diameter. My morning project expanded to take most of the day and I can't be sure I was completely successful until waiting several more days to see if the vines still up on the pole turn brown and die. I cut all the kudzu immediately under that pole, but kudzu can travel laterally too...

While not strictly entropy kudzu is an agent of disorder. Plants can't be evil, but kudzu comes close.
Gold

Post by Gold »

We keep a Silky Saw Sugowaza in the car. It’s a Japanese tree saw that is amazing. For trees up to about 6” in diameter it is as fast as a chain saw. You never know when there is downed tree across the road.

We took delivery of a shed to be used as the kitchen last May. Two of the windows were non functional. The weather stripping internal to the top non opening portion of the window came loose and blocked the lower part of the window from opening.

I tried to poke the weather stripping back in the slot but I couldn’t make it work. I think someone forgot to put glue on before installing. I had the hardest time getting the manufacturer to take a look at it. One was stuck open through this winter and the other was stuck closed. I called the other day and they said they replaced both a few weeks ago. Yay.
Attachments
8DF738A0-5F7A-4B73-B3B4-CCE8D4A21227.jpeg
JR.

Post by JR. »

I think I'll keep my Stihl... it is pretty effective at making sawdust.

I have already made a bunch and this summer is just getting started, I have several trees I am thinking of cutting down and/or seriously pruning.

JR