Neumann SE66

A resource for technical documentation. Datasheets, application notes, instruction manuals, books and links to resources are found in the Document Library.
brianroth

Neumann SE66

Post by brianroth »

And then there are these:

http://cimarrontechnology.com/to-99to8- ... 20601.aspx

I know of several owners of MCI JH-416 desks who used those to retrofit 5534 DIPs into the original T0-99 sockets that held "MCI 2001" chips (aka Harris HA-911).

Bri
Professional audio and video systems design/installation/maintenance.
www.BrianRoth.com
Gold

Neumann SE66

Post by Gold »

brianroth wrote:And then there are these:
http://cimarrontechnology.com/to-99to8- ... 20601.aspx
I'm going for maximum reliability so I'd like to use a TO-99 package. The LF-356 is what Neumann used in later electronics and my friend has successfully used one. I think that's the move.

Even if the TO-99 LF-356 wasn't currently available I'd find some. As Al Grundy always said "we are engaged in paleo scatology....old shit". I like a good treasure hunt. The way we became friends is after buying a lathe I had spent six months trying to get the lathe to work. I knew it wasn't right and found him. This was 2000 and I knew next to nothing about electronics. I had managed to source all the hard to find parts and it was somewhat working. He couldn't figure out how someone so dumb had gotten so far. Story of my life.
JR.

Neumann SE66

Post by JR. »

The only thing good about "old sh__" is that it doesn't smell as strong as new.

JR (old guy)
Cancel the "cancel culture", do not support mob hatred.
Gold

Neumann SE66

Post by Gold »

Brian,

Have you worked on any of the cutting equipment at Quality Record Pressing?

Paul
brianroth

Neumann SE66

Post by brianroth »

Paul, I've been involved with the mastering console rebuild/install...but nothing with the actual lathe itself.

Bri
www.BrianRoth.com
Gold

Neumann SE66

Post by Gold »

Cool. Is that the TML console? If it's not top secret some details would be nice.

Has Dylan been doing the lathe work? I know he said he did some work on the lathe a while back.
brianroth

Neumann SE66

Post by brianroth »

Yes, the console was the "last iteration" from the TML setup in Ojai, CA. As a guy who is quite familiar with recording, broadcast and reinforcement consoles, this gizmo has been rather unusual for me. The control panel is loaded with rotary switches which allow "inserts" of EQ units, compression, etc....all of which were units Sax had custom built. However, the new installation also includes a pair of Sontec mastering EQ as well.

I was working here in Kansas with Tom Tom Pessagno who had been Chief Engineer at TML for many years. The lathe work was done by Ed Hukoveh. the guy who put it all together decades ago.

Here's a pic of a bunch of us taken right after the purchase.

http://www.analogplanet.com/content/aco ... kThfSoT.97

Bri
www.BrianRoth.com
Gold

Neumann SE66

Post by Gold »

Cool. Are the audio electronics for the lathes custom TML tube stuff? Have you had to reverse engineer a bunch of stuff?
brianroth

Neumann SE66

Post by brianroth »

Yep, the drive amp for the cutter head is an custom Sherwood Sax toooob unit. Tom had/reversed engineered the circuits for that.

Bri
www.BrianRoth.com
Gold

Neumann SE66

Post by Gold »

I'd like to see that place some time. I've never been to that part of the country. My GF has a sister in Omaha. She says the food and restaurants in Omaha are great. She grew up in eastern Colorado so she knows the area. Lincoln is supposed to have the best record store in the country.