Wayne's headphone amp build

Construction information for DIY projects, including the MS Mid Side Matrix, Elliptic Equalizer, Mastering Console, Phono Transfer System, Insert Switcher and the Dual Class-A Amplifier. You can post your baby pictures here.
MikoKensington

Re: Wayne's headphone amp build

Post by MikoKensington »

What kind of phones are you trying to crank?
MikoKensington

Post by MikoKensington »

Those 7506's are really efficient headphones. It doesn't take much to make those hurt the ears. My requirement for a headphone amp is that it must be able to drive a set of AKG 240M's loud enough to hear a mix while playing drums with earplugs in. (then cross fingers the click doesn't bleed :lol: )
natek

Post by natek »

Looks nice! Has a similar vibe to the small DBX units! ;)
mediatechnology

Post by mediatechnology »

Nice build! I had my Dad make me a pair of walnut wooden end-caps for dBx extrusion like that years ago and I should use them. I had a 3BX that came to me rack-mount I wanted to convert.
I also use AKG K240Ms and I am certain I need more gain for those being higher impedance, 600Ohms.
I think you have a vintage pair of K240s. IIRC they're now around 50 Ohms. For those, you might turn the 1246 gain resistors around backwards to give you +6dB gain rather than -6 dB. The original K240s always did require a lot of drive voltage.

The 7506's are ear splitting at just a volt or two with a 63 Ohm 106dB/mW sensitivity.
mediatechnology

Post by mediatechnology »

It should be unity gain. I haven't had any lack of adequate drive with cosnumer level "-10" stuff.

You might try the +9 dB trick here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=23&start=100