ms matrix- at last

Construction information for DIY projects, including the MS Mid Side Matrix, Elliptic Equalizer, Mastering Console, Phono Transfer System, Insert Switcher and the Dual Class-A Amplifier. You can post your baby pictures here.
syn

ms matrix- at last

Post by syn »

Hi
I'd like to thank Wayne very much for designing this one. It is very interesting piece of gear, very useful, both to create sounds and to correct troublesome mixes, IMHO. It is very transparent sounding unit. Some photos of my MS MATRIX build:

Relay bypass L & R, input grounds could be routed to audio ground, or to chassis for every input separately.
Output grounds could be routed to audio ground, to chassis or lifted for every output separately.
Lamps are:power, bypass L & bypass R. Front panel is laser engraved.

I used metal box from the old RCA broadcast channel and added the missing bits.
MS MATRIX board plugs into the mother board beneath, in the fashion of DOAs.

Best

Milos
Last edited by syn on Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Holger

Re: ms matrix- at last

Post by Holger »

Cool...
Any chance to get higher res pics?
syn

Post by syn »

sure. links added.
MikoKensington

Post by MikoKensington »

Very Cool! I still haven't decided what I'll end up doing with mine. Make it stand-alone or throw it between two mono Picos to make a M/S compressor.
mediatechnology

Post by mediatechnology »

Great job on the build Milos!

I haven't zoomed the images in the links. What are the switches for? It looks like some are ground lift and the other group bypass or mutes?

Miko - My vote is a dual mono/MS Pico compressor. No one's done that one here.
emrr

Post by emrr »

MikoKensington wrote: throw it between two mono Picos to make a M/S compressor.
That's what I'm planning for one set! Dual mono, or M/S stereo.
Best,

Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
syn

Post by syn »

Thank you guys.

Wayne
the switches are for various grounding of inputs and outputs (including m s i/o). All inputs can be routed to audio gnd or to chassis. All outputs can be routed to audio ground, to chassis or lifted. I have 3 bypass switches: bypass L, bypass R (relay in/out) and bypass ALL (for "precision" bypass mode, relay). Still have to make the PCB for the precision bypass mode, forgot about it in the first round.
MikoKensington

Post by MikoKensington »

I bought a bunch of mono bypass boards from Volker, aka[silent:arts]. I threw together a really crude block diagram for mine today. I wish I was a wealthy man, because I'd pay Roger generously to make my ideas come to life. But until that day comes, I'll have to slooooowly assemble things myself.
syn

Post by syn »

Roger
thank you. Yes, all bypass, I/O and grounding stuff are on the mobo , and I connect it to the MS board by pin/socket sets. then I have another front panel PCB that holds switches and lamps.