BI Technologies Pots

Construction information for DIY projects, including the MS Mid Side Matrix, Elliptic Equalizer, Mastering Console, Phono Transfer System, Insert Switcher and the Dual Class-A Amplifier. You can post your baby pictures here.
mediatechnology

BI Technologies Pots

Post by mediatechnology »

I had completely forgotten about BI Technologies pots from TT Electronics. They recently ran an ad in the AES Journal and will be exhibiting at NAMM. They've built a product web page just for Pro Audio:

http://www.bitechnologies.com/ProAudio/ ... /index.htm
Crusty

Re: BI Technologies Pots

Post by Crusty »

Wow, these look pretty good. Anyone used these before? The cross-ref for the Bourns 51 I use is the 260P. It seems to be almost half the price of the Bourns and 10 times the rotational life...

Edit: Dammit! No concentrics! ...a cruel, cruel, joke Wayne...
mediatechnology

Didn't see that they didn't have concentrics. Too bad.
Crusty

Post by Crusty »

Maybe they do make 'em- wouldn't hurt to call, right?
mediatechnology

My Mouser catalog #637 (Feb-Apr) has Alpha, Alps, Bournes, Honeywell, Vishay etc. pgs 673-686.

They even have a class of pots I've never heard of: "guitar potentiometers." :)

http://www.mouser.com/Search/Refine.asp ... ts&FS=True

http://www.mouser.com/catalog/637/682.pdf

Just wish they could provide rev log.
mediatechnology

I like the 308/381. Those are the Clarostats that SSL used and for the most part, in younger consoles at least, we didn't have to replace them often.

Quoting myself:
They even have a class of pots I've never heard of: "guitar potentiometers."
It would seem that if we have an individual product manager at Mouser that knows enough about audio to call them "guitar potentiometers" we could find this person and make the case for some values of Rev log. I've tried to get real product managers (they also have component engineers and QC engineers on staff) by phone and it's hard to do.
Crusty

Post by Crusty »

They are actually called "guitar pots": http://www.bourns.com/data/global/pdfs/PDB241-GTR.pdf
I guess it's an under-served market. :roll: Bourns doesn't seem to have a plastic conductive/cermet series really equivelent to the Claro 308- no switch options; detents, centertaps reverse log, etc...

Roger, try searching Mouser online; they have more stuff than what's in the print catalog. Search with only the series number so it brings up all the variants that might be in the system.
mediatechnology

Yeah my mailbox almost falls over when they deliver the catalog. Looking at that list I noticed a bunch of stuff wasn't in the catalog. Still want to find a way to get the product manager's attention. Maybe I should just drive over to Mansfield this afternoon and picket Mouser HQ. :ugeek:

I love the PEC. The only "problem" with them is the RV4's are huge. The PEC have a great feel though.
Crusty

Post by Crusty »

So they (Bi Tech) makes the 9mm as a concentric - shafts way too short though for my project. Will stick with Omeg for now I guess. Using concentrics really limits your choices unless you're buying big numbers...
skipwave

Post by skipwave »

I'm going to use a bunch of BI pots in a little mixer build. I was surprised they use conductive plastic resistive elements for the price. I'll let you know how they work.