Vishay Thin Film Dividers

Where we discuss new analog design ideas for Pro Audio and modern spins on vintage ones.
mediatechnology

Vishay Thin Film Dividers

Post by mediatechnology »

Vishay has thin film divider networks with close ratio and absolute matching.
They are designed for automotive use but I wonder how good their audio performance is.
They have a voltage coefficient of <0.1 ppm/V and are rated at 100 mW.

http://www.vishay.com/docs/60113/mpma.pdf
JR.

Re: Vishay Thin Film Dividers

Post by JR. »

I could imagine using them in my precision synthesized current sources, where the matching of the resistors matters.

They claim low voltage coefficient so low distortion.

However price at digikey is $1.68 in thousands $4.63 in onesey twosey... a bit dear for my taste.
If these prices come down they would be worth using to roll precision differentials.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture", do not support mob hatred.
mediatechnology

Thanks for checking the real-world pricing. Still less than some of the high-precision alternatives in bulk metal.

The press release said "$0.50 to $1 in production quantities."
Must be for really big orders.

I'm wondering if I should ask Dave Hill if he's tested these.

As I was typing this I got an e-mail from Mouser about new Vishay product.

The MELF resistors looked interesting: http://www.vishay.com/docs/28713/melfprof.pdf

Those are good to have in 10R for mic preamp phantom fault series-limiting.
JR.

Post by JR. »

I haven't used a single SMD resistor in years, while the quad arrays I use are not premium audio quality.

Those duals with .05% matching look like competition of the R's integrated inside the THAT I/O chipsets.but more flexible for unusual tricks.

Low distortion precision dual SMD seem very attractive, except for the price. Even $0.50 ($ 0.25 per R) seems a little pricy...

I'm paying less than a penny per array in 5k volume (one reel) for general purpose x4 arrays.

JR
mediatechnology

I'm paying less than a penny per array in 5k volume (one reel) for general purpose x4 arrays.
Well, yes. Are they available in ratios other than 1:1?
JR.

Post by JR. »

The value of the new Vishay parts IMO are the precision and linearity, while I have not paid close attention to cost of decent SMD resistors. I know from talking with others who do that they are slightly more expensive and require larger SMD packages, while fitting 2 inside a 3 leg sot-23 is not a stretch physically. The common pin per pair is somewhat of a limitation for cost effective use of these, already pricy parts.

I suspect these are used for automotive control systems to pad down real world automotive sensor voltages to <3V for cheap onboard A/D convertors. The ratio precision and stability is probably more important to them than linearity, which may just be a nice side effect.

JR

[edit- I can't imagine a car company paying $0.50 for a pair of resistors /edit]