Simulate That1570 ?

Where we discuss new analog design ideas for Pro Audio and modern spins on vintage ones.
samsagaz

Simulate That1570 ?

Post by samsagaz »

Hi guys, want to know if someone know some software that i can use to simulate THAT1570 ic.

Thanks in advance
JR.

Re: Simulate That1570 ?

Post by JR. »

I never got into circuit simulation... back in the early days it wasn't that reliable.

Wayne may know...

Sorry for the non-answer...

JR

PS: I did write my own crude computer software to help design multi=pole filters back in the '70s so I'm not a complete luddite. Just never got into sim.
Cancel the "cancel culture", do not support mob hatred.
samsagaz

Post by samsagaz »

thanks too much JR. I just waiting some samples, and want to play a bit before receive it :)

will be my first time building an pre for mic. so want to check some things....
mediatechnology

Post by mediatechnology »

I never got into circuit simulation... back in the early days it wasn't that reliable.
Jensen Comtran? John - Did you ever have the hardware to run that?

samsagaz:

I don't know why they haven't provided a model of the 1570 yet.

It's certainly not here: http://www.thatcorp.com/Device_Models.shtml
JR.

Post by JR. »

Ok here's a story I never shared with anybody..... Yes Deane's COMTRAN was not cheap, it required an expensive HP spectrum analyzer as the front end digital capture and a HP computer to run the software to do the post processing. When I was hired to work at Peavey in the mid '80s they told me to give them my wish list for test equipment... I was pretty excited about going to work for Peavey and figured with good computer circuit analysis I could crank out designs even better and faster,, So I submit my equipment list to include the comtran capability but they decided to second guess my request and have one of the other senior engineering managers look at my list. He OK's the spectrum analyzer as reasonable but nixed the HP computer. So I ended up with the expensive digital signal front end capture box (recall that this was 1985), but no back end to process the data..I don't recall the price tag on that old spectrum analyzer but it was more than a small car. arghhhhhhhhh.

I was pissed off, but I didn't find out about it until only half my stuff showed up... I could have saved them even more money, since I had little use for a top end HP spectrum analyzer for GP analog design. They were so clever about trying to save money that they ended up wasting the money the high end SA cost. I'm still a little angry about that... Not so much that they didn't want to spend the money, just that they didn't bother to discuss it with me. I was used to Macguyvering my test equipment needs for years. The SA sat on my bench as constant reminder of poor management decisions (actually I stuck it on a technicians bench because I rarely used it). .

JR

PS: I was sympathetic to computer simulation but in the early days it was like using a slide rule, you kind of need to know the answer before you ask, and let the computer provide the details. In the '70s I wrote my own filter design software so I could plug real values into complex multipole Chebychev (or whatever) alignment filters.. I even used the tab command on my dot-matriix printer to generate crude response plots. My experience with obscure design problems was things that might not show up in crude simulations, like substrate diodes in transistor arrays, and the like. I suspect the modern simulators, as long as they are loaded with complete models for the parts should work. At this late date, I am operating more in the digital domain for bread and butter work. I am doing some interesting (perhaps) mixed technology stuff that I may be able to talk about later...
Cancel the "cancel culture", do not support mob hatred.