Analog meter driver...

Where we discuss new analog design ideas for Pro Audio and modern spins on vintage ones.
Crusty

Re: Analog meter driver...

Post by Crusty »

Hey Wayne,
Could you check the Rbias formula on page two on this data sheet?: http://www.thatcorp.com/datashts/dn123.pdf
Looks like the parsing's not right...or should I still be bugging Frank Thomas with this stuff? LOL
mediatechnology

Post by mediatechnology »

Shoudn't it be Ibias= (2x1mA)+650 uA?

I think the eq below it should have two parenthesis in the numerator as well.
JR.

Post by JR. »

Crusty wrote:Oh I don't know what I want, as usual. :roll:

In gerneral, I was thinking a ppm would be more useful for a preamp output than a vu; especially driving DAWs. I have a couple circuits borrowed from Neve for ideas. These will give, more or less, the standard BBC scale/ballisitics. (I wonder if they are really still valid for digital recording?...)

Circuit needs to drive an analog meter 1mA FS. I thought maybe a 2252 That chip could make an interesting and accurate driver for a linear scale.

Maybe I should just do vu-scale, as people are used to it. (I myself would be happy with no meter or clip light at all on a pre output, since it's sort of redundant to the recorder's metering.) Market research says otherwise...LOL
I agree Peak info is useful in the context of digital recording.

The PPM standard , something like a 4 mSec attack is useful to ignore very narrow impulses or transients.

I am also a fan of ave or rms to reflect apparent loudness.. while a mechanical meter is somewhat limiting with LEDs you can display both.

Back when I made consoles with mechanical meters I included peak LEDs in addition.
-------
I am currently working on a microprocessor that does the whole shebang inside, but this may be a bit much for the casual DIYer.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture", do not support mob hatred.
Crusty

Post by Crusty »

Thanks John.
Should I really be ignoring fast transients with digital recording in mind?

I'm sort of back to thinking about the linear-scaled idea with the detector/vca again. Or even maybe (don't cringe), driving it from a dedicated pic micro...
mediatechnology wrote:Shoudn't it be Ibias= (2x1mA)+650 uA?

I think the eq below it should have two parenthesis in the numerator as well.
I think if you follow the solve from left to right rule, it's o.k. to write that way. At least the answer's right on that one! LOL
mediatechnology

Post by mediatechnology »

I would have solved it that way but it could possibly be ambiguous. A few parenthesis doesn't hurt tho.

I'm an RPN guy. I bought an algebraic calc the other day as a spare and it's confusing (to an RPN guy) as hell.