Which Audio Analyser?

This is where we talk about testing, measuring and repairing things. Sometimes we have to repair the equipment we use to test, measure and repair other things. It's an endless cycle of fixing the broken things we need to fix other broken things.
Gold

Re: Which Audio Analyser?

Post by Gold »

After looking around for a long time I’ve decided on the Analog Discovery 2 along with a Native Instruments Konnect 2 with the Pete Milett interface box. Using the Waveforms software for both. The AD2 has high bandwidth but is only 14 bit. For low noise measurements I’d switch over to the audio interface. It’s cross platform. It works on Windows, MAC and Linux.

I’d still choose the DScope if I had the money. The Analog Discovery 2 is backordered and should be available in October.
toneworks

Post by toneworks »

The FocusRite 2i2 Gen3 looks really awesome... what a bargain :-) I should be able to make that work with the Parallels VM I use to run Windows on my Mac.

I have used REW for studio acoustics stuff in the past and liked it a lot, so I'll probably try it for audio analysis as well.
Gold

Post by Gold »

There is an OSX version of REW. I don’t think you should have to run Parallels.
AnalogJoe

Post by AnalogJoe »

Gold wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:48 am After looking around for a long time I’ve decided on the Analog Discovery 2 along with a Native Instruments Konnect 2 with the Pete Milett interface box. Using the Waveforms software for both. The AD2 has high bandwidth but is only 14 bit. For low noise measurements I’d switch over to the audio interface. It’s cross platform. It works on Windows, MAC and Linux.

I’d still choose the DScope if I had the money. The Analog Discovery 2 is backordered and should be available in October.
The DScope is $3400 :cry: you can get the QA401 or an old AP Sys 1 for a lot less than that.

Is this the sound card you are using? http://www.pmillett.com/ATEST.htm what's so special about it?
Bonum certamen certavi, cursum consumavi, fidem servavi.
mediatechnology

Post by mediatechnology »

The problem with using an AP SYS1 is connecting it, and running it, in a modern computing environment.
Duke (Audio1Man) has addressed the connectivity issues but the last time I looked into it the OS to run Win AP had to be Win 98.
I may be mistaken about that and hopefully Duke will visit this thread soon.

Pete Millet's box addresses the I/O limitations of most single-ended soundcards for use in a test environment.

BTW the Focusrite 2i2 will now run on certain iPads.

In the Linux environment the 2i2 is completely plug-n-play without any Focusrite software as it is USB Class-C(?) compatible.
I've used it running Ubuntu 16.04.
AnalogJoe

Post by AnalogJoe »

mediatechnology wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:08 am The problem with using an AP SYS1 is connecting it, and running it, in a modern computing environment.
Duke (Audio1Man) has addressed the connectivity issues but the last time I looked into it the OS to run Win AP had to be Win 98.
I may be mistaken about that and hopefully Duke will visit this thread soon.
Wayne, I have Duke's USB interface for my AP SYS 1, working great on Win 10.
Bonum certamen certavi, cursum consumavi, fidem servavi.
Gold

Post by Gold »

mediatechnology wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:08 am BTW the Focusrite 2i2 will now run on certain iPads.
Any USB 2.0 class compliant interface should work on an iPad. I could just use the Konnect2 into the iPad using the Audio Tools software but I don't like it as much as the Waveforms software that comes with the Analog Discovery 2. That and my GF has claimed the iPad as hers...

Since everything is cross platform I'm not sure what to use. It will be a dedicated machine for the bench. A Windows 2 in 1 would be the best form factor. I'd like an 11" screen to mount in a rack and the keyboard on the bench. The only thing about Windows is you need drivers for the devices. Mac and Linux don't. I could get an old Mac laptop but I'd rather have a tablet style form factor. I've never used Linux and I'm not the adventurous type when it comes to computers.
mediatechnology

Post by mediatechnology »

Scarlett 2i2 is officially supported in use with USB-C iPad Pros. Setup and operation is simple: just plug in, fire up your favourite music-making app, and enjoy the Focusrite sound wherever you go. Scarlett 2i2 has been tested extensively with Garageband, Cubasis 2, Auria Pro, Ampify Launchpad, Ampify Groovebox and Ampify Blocs Wave, as well as FL Studio. Now you can record anywhere, really.
I think the change may be "official support" which is something they haven't done for Linux despite it working brilliantly under Linux.
toneworks

Post by toneworks »

Gold wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:36 pm There is an OSX version of REW. I don’t think you should have to run Parallels.
Right :-)
toneworks

Post by toneworks »

AnalogJoe wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:27 am You can get the QA401 ... for a lot less than that.
The QuantAsylum stuff looks really interesting. I like the combination of reasonably priced hardware and open source software. There's just too much poorly maintained proprietary software out there and I feel so much more comfortable knowing that I can dive in and fix things myself if everything else fails.

I already ordered a Focusrite interface to use with REW, but I might have a look at the QA401 at some point.