APx500 Flex Audio Analyzer

This is where we talk about testing, measuring and repairing things. Sometimes we have to repair the equipment we use to test, measure and repair other things. It's an endless cycle of fixing the broken things we need to fix other broken things.
mediatechnology

APx500 Flex Audio Analyzer

Post by mediatechnology »

Combining the power and versatility of APx500 measurement software with 3rd party audio interfaces
The APx500 Flex audio analyzer—comprised of APx500 measurement software and an APx500 Flex Key—allows you to select the ASIO-capable audio interface of your choice to use along with AP’s versatile and powerful APx audio measurement software. Start with the measurement options you need now, with the freedom to add additional measurements as your test requirements evolve. The APx500 Flex brings Audio Precision innovations such as one-click measurements, code-free automation and sophisticated reporting to off-the-shelf audio interface hardware solutions.
https://www.ap.com/analyzers-accessories/apx500-flex/
lsburden

Re: APx500 Flex Audio Analyzer

Post by lsburden »

I just found this today as well and came here to post.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-release ... 28515.html

The APx500 Flex audio analyzer is available now, with the two-channel base configuration retailing for US $3,000.
$3k price tag is pretty steap. Not to mention you still need an approved interface.

Intriguing though.
Gold

Post by Gold »

That doesn’t seem like a very good deal. The Dscope that was introduced last year is 4K for a complete setup. By the time you get an interface you are probably around that price.
lsburden

Post by lsburden »

Doesn't really matter to me.
Both are out of reach for me.

Good deal or not - AP has some clout and name recognition throughout the audio industry (pro, consumer, hi-fi, etc.)
Gold

Post by Gold »

I’m trying to picture who the customer is for this. The entry level AP with hardware is around 7K IIRC. Let’s say this saves $2.5K from the 7K. Across a multiple unit QC line it might makes sense. For an individual or small outfit I couldn’t see picking this over a used AP or a new Dscope.

I bought my Portable One new ten years ago. I knew so little that I didn’t want to risk a used one. I needed to know that the test gear worked and any weirdness was operator error. It was very expensive but well worth it. Now I can zip around on it and would buy used now.

If you actually know what you are doing you can get away with a pieced together test setup. For a hack like myself I feel much more comfortable with an engineered complete test system.
mediatechnology

Post by mediatechnology »

I though it was pretty cool until I saw the pricing.
Once you spend that 3-4K you still have to deal with getting an interface that's practical for test.
A good audio interface only gets you 50% of the way there.

I doubt it will sell at this price.

In another AP email I received noticed of discontinuation of the 2700:
After 24 years in production, the venerable System Two / 2700 Series platform will be discontinued in December 2019. Customers considering the purchase of a 2700 Series audio analyzer should ensure orders are received by December 31, 2019.
AudioTester and YMEC are looking better all the time.
Gold

Post by Gold »

I’ve been trying to picture the customer for that. The main reason to buy a dedicated test setup IMO is for the front end. Made for measurement. Hard to blow up.

The only thing I could come up with was a large broadcast facility that uses AP in engineering and wants the software in the production rooms that have approved interfaces.
lsburden

Post by lsburden »

I agree. Pricing for this does not make sense.