Audio Tools on iOS

This is where we talk about testing, measuring and repairing things. Sometimes we have to repair the equipment we use to test, measure and repair other things. It's an endless cycle of fixing the broken things we need to fix other broken things.
Gold

Re: Audio Tools on iOS

Post by Gold »

I don’t do a lot of portable either but enough to make it worth while. It seems like every time I go somewhere the audio system is either not set up or unsuitable to use. That was the only hold up with the recent lathe installation. The audio system wasn’t ready to go and wasn’t as easy to set up as he expected.

The other use is to use it for setting up my second lathe. Eventually I’ll need to run Sequoiatude on a PC. Until I’m sending out invoices for that lathe I’d rather use the iPad.

The Auria DAW seemes quite capable and only $25. The major hurdle for that is that IOS only supports two output channels. It supports 24 input channels. I need four output channels for the lathe automation. Until that’s changed for more outputs I would have to use two iPads. Digital out of the source files into digital in to a second iPad running a DDL. Plus test and measurement with the DAW.
Gold

Post by Gold »

I’m going to see how well the $99 USB interface works with AudioTools. The iAudioInterface2 is $450. The iAudioInterface2 has TRS connectors for Line In and Line Out. They can be configured as balanced single channel or stereo unbalanced. If I have it configured for unbalanced stereo I can use the PTS preamp card as a balanced to unbalanced converter with gain available and. JLM Dingo Pup as an unbalanced to balanced output with gain.

For the DAW setup a pair MTC II’s for input and Dingos on the output with a montitor volume knob would make a powerful portable audio system for a lathe or any stereo setup.
Gold

Post by Gold »

I’m getting more comfortable with the FFT in AudioTools. I don’t have experience with using FFT on the bench so it will take a while to adjust thee FFT module and the Smaart module. Each one seems like it has strengths and weaknesses.

I have two channels of the Sontecish EQ’s going. I have most of the casework done for it so it should be ready for listening tests soon.
Gold

Post by Gold »

I have officially given up on getting the iPad going for this. Too bad. I broke out the Windows 7 laptop and downloaded REW. The $99 Presonus USB interface was recognized after downloading the drivers. I haven't gotten further than that yet.

I decided it made the most sense to do it on a Windows laptop. I have PCB Express on it which I hope to spend some time with in the future. That only runs on Windows I think. I can run Samplitude/Sequoia on it which is helpful. I also have QCad loaded on it which I also hope to send some time with. The battery is dead on the laptop. I don't really need the battery but I'd like to have a working one.

A good friend runs ARTA which I might check out as well.
mediatechnology

Post by mediatechnology »

Paul -

Now that you're running a Windows machine I can make a lot of recommendations.
Gold

Post by Gold »

Thanks Wayne. The machine keeps shutting down after a while. I have a feeling it’s the battery. If a replacement is more than $75 or so I may just bite the bullet and get a new laptop with an 11.6” screen. The Thinkpad I have big and heavy. The small laptops are under $250.
mediatechnology

Post by mediatechnology »

Paul - You may also have internal air passages that are blocked by dust and lint. Try running SpeedFan or Speccy and read the temps.