Entropy

Relax in southern comfort on the east bank of the Mississippi. You're just around the corner from Beale Street and Sun Records. Watch the ducks, throw back a few and tell us what's on your mind.
JR.

Re: Entropy

Post by JR. »

mediatechnology wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:27 pm Going back to the old trap post...

I often bleach my traps and also run a lot of boiling hot water through them.
Then lots of hot water-heated water.
It takes 2-3 feet/sec flow rate for a pipe to self-clean.
Bleach isn't so great for metal traps but mine are all PVC now.
connecting another dot or two, back when I was suspicious of the contamination being in my feed water, I would try running the hot water at full open until it got really hot.. this would stop the smell for a while and I ASSumed I was killing something in the feed pipes, but if the contamination was living in the trap, all that very hot water would clear it there too...

+1 on boiling water... I occasionally pour a kettle of boiling water down my kitchen drain when it gets slow.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture", do not support mob hatred.
JR.

Post by JR. »

JR. wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:03 pm Today's entropy episode involves my smart battery charger... today after returning from my once a week shopping trip that is inadequate to keep my car battery topped off, I connected my smart charger (plugs into the cigarette lighter).With no charging...

I first checked the obvious suspects and charger was getting good 120VAC, next I tried connecting the charger directly to the battery under the hood and that charged normally.

I had already replaced the cigarette lighter power plug once a few months ago.... I was pleasantly surprised to see how easily this cheapo plug adapter came apart, and I found the failed solder connection between the ground wire and spring ground contacts. Repaired and back in place charging through the cigarette lighter plug.

JR
My replacement lighter plug end showed up and I did a test charge after replacement to confirm that it works, all good.

JR
[update- this weeks recharge took less time than last week, perhaps the lower resistance connection, or coincidence. /update]
JR.

Post by JR. »

china-man.jpg
While not strictly normal wear and tear, this old ceramic statue that I carried around the country for years (after my mother died) got trashed either by wind gusts, or one of my neighbor's cats, knocking it over.

This statue was a fixture in our house when we were kids growing up. You can see where it was glued back together more than once over the years. It used to sit in an alcove near the top of the stairs on our NJ house... My grandmother who was already old at the time, and visiting, got disoriented on a late night potty call. The China man ended up at the bottom of the stair case in pieces.

I researched it and it would be of little value if intact, being busted and glued, makes it worth even less. Already headed for trash pick-ip day.

JR
terkio

Post by terkio »

The Entropy here, is inexplicable.
http://twinfalls.free.fr/Inexplicable.mp4
mediatechnology

Post by mediatechnology »

Beautiful animation...
terkio wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:42 am The Entropy here, is inexplicable.
http://twinfalls.free.fr/Inexplicable.mp4
Anti-Entropy?
mediatechnology

JR. wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:57 pm china-man.jpg

While not strictly normal wear and tear, this old ceramic statue that I carried around the country for years (after my mother died) got trashed either by wind gusts, or one of my neighbor's cats, knocking it over.

This statue was a fixture in our house when we were kids growing up. You can see where it was glued back together more than once over the years. It used to sit in an alcove near the top of the stairs on our NJ house... My grandmother who was already old at the time, and visiting, got disoriented on a late night potty call. The China man ended up at the bottom of the stair case in pieces.

I researched it and it would be of little value if intact, being busted and glued, makes it worth even less. Already headed for trash pick-ip day.

JR
John you need to bury that in the yard or build it into a wall as a time capsule.
Despite being headless it deserves better treatment than the landfill.

I have pair of my Mom's sandals when she was about 3 or 4.
It still has dirt on the soles from when she walked on the farm in Midlothian Texas 90 years ago.
Had I found them sooner I would have built them into a wall when we remodeled her home.
JR.

Post by JR. »

mediatechnology wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:56 am
JR. wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:57 pm china-man.jpg

I researched it and it would be of little value if intact, being busted and glued, makes it worth even less. Already headed for trash pick-up day.

JR
John you need to bury that in the yard or build it into a wall as a time capsule.
I don't have any walls or concrete work on the horizon

Despite being headless it deserves better treatment than the landfill.
not really... It holds no sentimental value for besides serving as a reminder of that night back in the 50s when my grandma made a wrong turn during a late night pee call and missed the bathroom. Of course it could have turned out far worse if she fell down the stairs instead of the china man.
I have pair of my Mom's sandals when she was about 3 or 4.
It still has dirt on the soles from when she walked on the farm in Midlothian Texas 90 years ago.
Had I found them sooner I would have built them into a wall when we remodeled her home.
I think I have a pair of my old sandals that I need to throw out, they're only 30 years old.

The town slipped on picking up the China man so like a bad penny it is still with me (I may have to bury it to get rid of it). The two old transformers I put out at the same time are gone, but I suspect they were picked up by scavengers for the scrap steel content.

JR
mediatechnology

The China Man refuses to leave.
He doesn't want to be buried in the landfill.

Any particular reason why the little guy on his arm can't keep watch over the garden?
JR.

Post by JR. »

mediatechnology wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:39 pm The China Man refuses to leave.
He doesn't want to be buried in the landfill.

Any particular reason why the little guy on his arm can't keep watch over the garden?
That works for me... looks weird but he's been watching my driveway for several days.

[update- Done... it looks a little weird to have a headless china man guarding my raised bed... The only thing growing this time of year is garlic, so they're watching that. /update]
garden.jpg
JR
JR.

Post by JR. »

One entropy item and one not... The not is that after surviving the ice storm dropping heavy pine limbs on my wires, last week a truck snagged on my phone/DSL cable that was apparently hanging too low and ripped it asunder... It was rather painful negotiating a service call with AT&T my provider (actually u-verse but I think that's the same company). The hurdles I had to jump to get them to believe I was me, and not some hacker from N. Korea just pretending to have a broken DSL service. I needed to give them my DSL "account" number and my 4-digit pin. After a few days I figured out my account # but no luck on the pin... By sunday, 4 days after losing service, I jumped enough hurdles to get them for forward me to the repair desk phone number, but that was just another joke on me, I only reached a recording saying they were only open during normal business hours.

BTW it wasn't just me, my next door neighbor also lost his service, and had the same lack of success securing a service call. On friday he ran down a line worker from a different(?) phone company and got him the report a line down hazard... no luck getting service ticket.

Monday during normal business hours I finally reached a human. I failed answering my security question "what was my favorite restaurant?"... I don't have a friggin favorite restaurant but probably listed a hole in the wall barbecue place that is long gone... The full name was Jean's Red door, I think I just said red door and that that wasn't close enough. She allowed me to set up another security question and gave me a new pin number.... I joked with the service operator that they should manage election security.

After all this drama I finally got a service appointment set up for wednesday noon-4PM.... Around 5PM I got a text that the service tech was on his way... Two trucks showed up, the workers were on loan from florida. He proposed running a new line just to my house from where the feed broke, to avoid crossing the road and got a little testy when I told them they needed to fix my neighbor's DSL too. He said they only had a service ticket to restore my line, and my neighbor was out of luck... I backed off, so they would at least fix my service.

Later I went back out to check on them and they had replaced the broken cable in the original cable path above the road restoring both my service, and my neighbors.

Going without internet for one week was less painful than I thought.

======

Ok for some real entropy in the last two weeks I have three pair of blue jeans with the same (left) leg shredded.... I do not know why the same leg gets blown out every time... At my age I can probably just keep buying new jeans, but decided to experiment with iron-on patches. I ordered a batch of them today. I have an iron that hasn't been plugged in for several decades so I'm ready to go.

Mo-lata

JR