Amazon-Free: A Two Year Anniversary

Relax in southern comfort on the east bank of the Mississippi. You're just around the corner from Beale Street and Sun Records. Watch the ducks, throw back a few and tell us what's on your mind.
JR.

Re: Amazon-Free: A Two Year Anniversary

Post by JR. »

you need to imagine my lifetime expectations***, and how infrequently I make pizza.

I found 50# sacks of high gluten flour but that is too many lifetimes. 15# will last me several years.

JR

**** I predicted I would die in a fiery car crash decades ago while drunk driving home at 120-130 (MPH not KPH). Never expected to see this side of 70 years old. I sure can't complain about this.. :lol:

[update- flour arrived today... crazy fast /update]
Last edited by JR. on Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cancel the "cancel culture", do not support mob hatred.
billshurv

Post by billshurv »

In my case it was a woman I expected to kill me, but I survived :)

I have had the odd close shave on 4 wheels as well.
JR.

Post by JR. »

billshurv wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:01 pm In my case it was a woman I expected to kill me, but I survived :)

I have had the odd close shave on 4 wheels as well.
You should have tried a motorcycle... cheating death was part of the daily rush.

When I moved down south I looked forward to a longer riding season, I didn't expect this much rain (or sand flowing across roads, or dogs sleeping in the middle of roads at night). :lol:

JR

PS: No women wanting to kill me, but a few husbands unhappy.
billshurv

Post by billshurv »

I lack the necessary self preservation instincts for a motorbike. I cycle to work and that gets me close enough to death on a daily basis. There is one school run mum in particular who thinks she can overtake on a single track road!
JR.

Post by JR. »

billshurv wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:20 pm I lack the necessary self preservation instincts for a motorbike. I cycle to work and that gets me close enough to death on a daily basis. There is one school run mum in particular who thinks she can overtake on a single track road!
My momma wouldn't allow us to own motorcycles while under her roof and in hindsight that was probably wise. Motorcycles are obviously dangerous, and made worse by motorists who don't properly comprehend speed and closing rates of motorcycles. I have many stories but the scariest part was how routine cheating death became.

These days I'm OK on 4 wheels but still drive too fast... (on my motorcycle I would routinely double posted speed limits, except for on the interstate where wind resistance makes 2x rather uncomfortable without special aerodynamics.)

While I was still driving my motorcycle I couldn't pedal a bike that couldn't accelerate or brake, better than cars. Since my motorcycle is long gone and my knee cartilage too, I can only rock my 24 speed bike over my old jogging course... I wave and try to be friendly toward all auto traffic so they won't kill that nice guy who always waves. I recently had to replace the ring shift cable on my bike that frayed and stretched, I guess my new bike isn't new anymore. :roll:

It seems the less time we have left the faster it goes by... :oops:

JR
billshurv

Post by billshurv »

The scariest story of bike v american motorist I heard was my friend in Tx. At the lights (and at the front) the SUV behind forgot he was there and dragged him about 50 yrds under the front fender before they realised.

Biking in UK is kind of summed up by this article https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-47686230

Do Amazon sell motorbikes?
JR.

Post by JR. »

Yes motorcycles are dangerous, the human body is not adapted for sudden deceleration from tens of MPH.

I was (am) lucky and only experienced one accident on the road while on my bike, and that was a bit of a freak accident. A dry rotted tree limb decided to fall on me as I was riding under it, a pretty low probability occurrence you can't anticipate, only react. I recall seeing the tree limb falling and locked up my brakes to avoid tasking the hit across my body. I succeeded and the tree limb broke up across my handlebars. I recall looking down and being pleased that I was still up vertical, as I heard the cars behind me lock up their brakes to avoid hitting me....but next thing I knew I was on the ground with my bike laying partially on top of me.

I only suffered minor abrasions AKA "Road Rash" and my helmet had an ugly scrape mark from the pavement (better than my scalp). I was still shook up, but righted my bike, and rotated the front fork so wheel was facing straight forward again. I was only about a half mile from my house so I drove home before calling the police to report the accident. This was before cell phones (while I do not own one right now), and I saw little value from sitting on the curb for hours and making a big production of this.
roadrash.JPG
A kid I knew took off a live tree limb with his face from going off the road on a bike (lost one eye). Other people I knew did much worse.

JR