Baxandall & Self @ Linear Audio

A resource for technical documentation. Datasheets, application notes, instruction manuals, books and links to resources are found in the Document Library.
ricardo

Baxandall & Self @ Linear Audio

Post by ricardo »

For yus young uns, Great Guru Baxandall's many contributions to electronics go back to the wartime development of RADAR by the POMs when he was a colleague of the great Alan Blumlein.

I shan't call Self a guru cos he's still with us. His Wireless World articles are the basis of his Power Amplifier book but the correspondence is new and worthwhile reading.

http://www.elektor.com/news/republished ... paign=news
JR.

Re: Baxandall & Self @ Linear Audio

Post by JR. »

Well now I know what to ask Santa for... while I'm not sure I'd pay 22 Euros myself to read some letters.

Peter Baxandall is indeed the real deal. I recall an interview of him in TAA a few decades ago and just from that conversation it was clear he was solid as rock regarding how electrons actually behave.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture", do not support mob hatred.
ricardo

Post by ricardo »

Six of Baxandall's pages are at http://www.douglas-self.com/ampins/baxa ... andall.htm

They show that even a Great Guru didn't always know everything. This bit shows he didn't quite understand Prof. Edward Cherry's stuff. But in true Baxandall fashion, he meticulously investigates it and devises his own solution to the problem ... reminiscent of our own Wayne ... grovel grovel 8-)

Cherry's rather more elegant solution is in his JAES papers. I don't like his complicated Nested Differentiating Feedback Loops but his analysis in "Feedback, Sensitivity and Stability of Power Amplifiers", JAES may82 is priceless.

I don't know which of his papers proposes what I call the Cherry Capacitor and Baxandall/Self call Inclusive Miller Compensation; probably the first of the NDFL papers.
JR.

Post by JR. »

Nobody knows everything... but logic and scientific method will generally keep us from making huge mistakes.

One comment from Baxandall that endeared him to me, was his dismissing the Otolla TIM,SID, yadda yadda crowd for reinventing already known rate of change issues associated with NFB circuitry that Baxandall and peers conquered designing early radar electronics circa WWII.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture", do not support mob hatred.