Switch support/bezel - have you ever seen this part?

Where we discuss new analog design ideas for Pro Audio and modern spins on vintage ones.
JR.

Re: Switch support/bezel - have you ever seen this part?

Post by JR. »

Whoops wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 6:52 pm
JR. wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:52 am I second the suggestion to make a 3D printed version.
Is not that easy:

1) I don't have an original part so I don't know the measurements, I could for sure create some measurements from the photos, but it will be always a compromise and a lot of time in Trial and Error
How many do you need? The round cuts could be made on a screw machine (programmable lathe), but the slot would need to be milled as a secondary operation. You should be able to find a switch to measure. Where is the chassis hole you plan to mount this in?
2) very very important, original part is metal and set screw is metal. Set-Screw is really important to tighten the Switch.
3d Printer won't work, set screw would strip out, will shred a plastic thread easily
The automotive industry has been using metal 3d printing for years, to make prototype and low volume engine/automobile parts. Probably not cheap for onesy twosey, but cheaper than custom hand machining them.

These points might be overcomed in some way, some easier than others but for now it's too early to think about this
I'm still trying to find a source or more information on this part, and that's the goal here.
It's a Quest and Detective work at the moment.

3D printing will be my last, last, last resort if I don't find any leads in the next month, or maybe 2 months
If you have a product that these were used in, find somebody who was involved in the original design. For low volume, high end products they may have been custom made by an in-house machine shop.

I have never seen a standard part like that used on a mass market product.

If this is for use in a new product design you might be able to get a similar look with an easier to fabricate approach.

Good luck

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture", do not support mob hatred.
Whoops

Post by Whoops »

JR. wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:06 pm If you have a product that these were used in, find somebody who was involved in the original design. For low volume, high end products they may have been custom made by an in-house machine shop.
For sure,
if I didn't see the Helios DI box using the same exact part, I might think that it was a part made in-house by Nagra, or made specifically for them. Nagra recorders where high end products and very expensive, so that could be the case for sure.
But the Helios DI box rules that out.

Actually I saw the part first in the Helios DI box and became interested in it, it was only after that that I got to know that Nagra also used it.

JR. wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:06 pm I have never seen a standard part like that used on a mass market product.
Yes, it seems no one seen it also. People see the part and find it useful and interesting but everyone says that have never seen it before.

At least until the moment the only products I know that used it were the Helios DI boxes of the Rolling Stones Mobile Studios and Naga IV models of location recorders.

For now I'm just looking for more info on this switch Bezel/support and trying to find a source or the original manufacturer, I'm not in an hurry.
If some time from now I don't find a source, I will think about other options then.

Thanks
Last edited by Whoops on Fri Dec 22, 2023 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mediatechnology

Post by mediatechnology »

AnalogJoe wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:41 pm
mediatechnology wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 2:33 pm BTW doesn't address the OP's need but this is a nice resource: https://lovemyswitches.com/

Was formerly "bitches love my switches."
Let me guess, cancel culture? Gearslutz -> Gearspace, Bitches love my switches -> love my switches.
I owe PRR for that lead.
flyboy71

Post by flyboy71 »

Wow. This is a good one. I'm usually able to dig around and find this stuff but not this one. Biggest issue I see is knowing the length of the threads on the switch and the length of the lever since both affect whether it sits below the surface, but you may already have that info. My guess also is it was a custom part.
My projects site: https://ornerscorner.neocities.org/

"Things are more like they are now then they ever were before" - Dwight
Whoops

Post by Whoops »

flyboy71 wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 6:45 am My guess also is it was a custom part.
Helios just did 10 to 20 DI boxes using this switch Bezel,
I doubt they would do a custom part just for a small number of units, and also just for a simple DI box.

And if it was custom then Helios an UK company and Nagra a Swiss company, that had no connection whatsoever, would not be using the same part
JR.

Post by JR. »

Whoops wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 7:51 am
I doubt they would do a custom part just for a small number of units, and also just for a simple DI box.

And if it was custom then Helios an UK company and Nagra a Swiss company, that had no connection whatsoever, would not be using the same part
Have you tried asking them? Did Nagra offer to sell repair parts?

JR
mediatechnology

Post by mediatechnology »

Whoops wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 7:51 am

I bet they bought replacement parts from Nagra.

I just occurred to me to ask a nearby neighbor who is a location recordist and Nagra restorer. He may have a service manual with a part number or one from a parts machine that could be measured. IIRC Pete is a member here.
Whoops

Post by Whoops »

mediatechnology wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 8:22 am I bet they bought replacement parts from Nagra.
No way mate. Nagra recorders cost at the time more than $15000.
That simple bezel/support sourced from Nagra would be more expensive than the DI box itself.
Also Nagra was selling recorders and high End machines, it was not in the business of selling parts to others companies

Also like I said, Helios is from the UK and Nagra from Swisstzerland, and there was never any connection between both companies.

mediatechnology wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 8:22 am I just occurred to me to ask a nearby neighbor who is a location recordist and Nagra restorer. He may have a service manual with a part number or one from a parts machine that could be measured. IIRC Pete is a member here.
I have all service manuals from all the Nagra IV line of recorders, 7 models in total of that line.
So I have the Nagra internal part number, both the older one and an updated one
Whoops

Post by Whoops »

JR. wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 8:09 am Have you tried asking them? Did Nagra offer to sell repair parts?

JR
Yes sure I've asked. I'm asking everyone...
It's Detective work, only for someone that enjoys a good quest, otherwise too much work

Nagra doesn't offer repair parts for older models, the Nagra IV line is from 1971.
But many other sources sell Nagra repair parts, and sell them for an outrageous amount of money.

These recorders are still very collectable, highly regarded and very expensive
JR.

Post by JR. »

How many do you need...?

A small machine shop could make these but not inexpensively.

JR