Flat Phono Preamp Based on John's P10 and 2SK389

Where we discuss new analog design ideas for Pro Audio and modern spins on vintage ones.
Gold

Re: Flat Phono Preamp Based on John's P10 and 2SK389

Post by Gold »

Thanks John. Referencing Wayne's schematic on page 16, what would be the best way to implement the load in this balanced configuration? I'd think strapping the resistor across the differential input isn't the best approach.
JR.

Post by JR. »

Gold wrote:Thanks John. Referencing Wayne's schematic on page 16, what would be the best way to implement the load in this balanced configuration? I'd think strapping the resistor across the differential input isn't the best approach.
OK hopefully Wayne can chime in if I guess wrong.

His schemo looks like 100k so is already a good match for your 1:32 transformer.

The 1:16 looks like it needs about a 36k at the optional J4. to bring it down to 25.6k

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture", do not support mob hatred.
mediatechnology

Post by mediatechnology »

+1 on JR's calcs.

With the values shown on page 16 it's 100K with J4 open and 47K J4 linked.
The 88K can be easily changed to provide whatever parallel termination is best.
The parallel resistor can also be installed on the Phoenix connector.

I'm wondering which will work out best:
The Denon seeing it's optimum termination reflected into the primary from the transformer secondary or the transformer seeing it's optimum secondary termination with the cart termination based on that.

With my AT-96 I ended up adding another 100 pF. That's 200pF preamp termination and about 90 pF leads.
I did that about the time I changed the front to the OPA2134 but it wasn't because of anything I heard.

If you look at some of the older front-ends like the UREI or Shure they have a fairly low passive pole at the input.

I noticed that the Lundahl spec sheet for that states that the primary requires one side to be grounded.
I wonder why?
It doesn't show to have an electrostatic shield tied internally.
Gold

Post by Gold »

mediatechnology wrote:+1 on JR's calcs.

I noticed that the Lundahl spec sheet for that states that the primary requires one side to be grounded.
I wonder why?
I don't know. I didn't notice that requirement until after I had them. I didn't like it one bit. In practice it has been dead quiet. Other Lundahl MC transformers don't have that requirement. I was going to get a different model for the second set. After installing the first set without incident I decided to get the same ones. I liked them and it's one less variable.
JR.

Post by JR. »

mediatechnology wrote:
I wonder why?
It may reflect how the winding is layered inside vs outside. Grounding the outside wrap will perhaps provide some shielding from external noise sources.. just a WAG :lol:

JR

{edit- probably not a great guess... the low turn primary is probably on the inside and secondary on the outside... [/edit]
mediatechnology

Would a hidden electrostatic shield have the requirement for that terminal being grounded?
JR.

Post by JR. »

mediatechnology wrote:Would a hidden electrostatic shield have the requirement for that terminal being grounded?
Certainly connected to a low Z .

JR
klem

Post by klem »

I wonder why?
I think the data sheet is written as such because most situations, as I best understand it, require MC transformers be grounded at primary in order to provide a ground for the turntable cable shield. I think this way LL aren’t making any assumptions about what is/isn’t grounded on a turntable and tonearm.
JR.

Post by JR. »

klem wrote:
I wonder why?
I think the data sheet is written as such because most situations, as I best understand it, require MC transformers be grounded at primary in order to provide a ground for the turntable cable shield. I think this way LL aren’t making any assumptions about what is/isn’t grounded on a turntable and tonearm.
MC carts are pretty low impedance so shielding of that primary side is probably not a huge concern, I'd be more concerned about loops and mutual ground connections in the vicinity.

JR
mediatechnology

klem -

What you said makes sense given the inherently unbalanced construction of coaxial RCA cables.
I suspect that with shielded twisted pair connections to the transformer input there would not be a primary grounding requirement.

It's the same problem attempting a true balanced connection with RCAs and moving magnet carts.
The balanced inputs work better with RCAs but only if the shield is grounded.
Try to float the shield and it hums.