Mid Side M-S Matrix Construction Information

Construction information for DIY projects, including the MS Mid Side Matrix, Elliptic Equalizer, Mastering Console, Phono Transfer System, Insert Switcher and the Dual Class-A Amplifier. You can post your baby pictures here.
isophase

Re: Mid Side M-S Matrix Construction Information

Post by isophase »

Hello,
Thank you for your help guys, i finished the unit yesterday and it works perfectly well!! I did rise the temperature of my soldering iron like you suggested and it solved the problem indeed. 100% right about the "large ground plane surface" acting as a heatsink, this was exactly the problem, you learn from your mistakes like we say (and from experienced forum members :-) i made sure there was no cold joints and re soldered all the suspicious looking points. bang!
Thanks a lot for the very nice project! i love the design! all of you did a really great job! i've been wanting a unit like this for a long time and i am very exited with my new tool, i spent hours playing with it last night listening to mixes i've done and watching the scope on XY mode... i was like a kid :-)
all the best
Jon
isophase

Post by isophase »

heres a photo of the unit, the cablage is all mogami, i added true bypass relay board. i can not hear ANY difference in timbre/level when the unit is bypassed and when it is "in" without prossessing. truely amazing !
mediatechnology

Post by mediatechnology »

Very nice build! Thank you for sharing the pics.

The goal I had for this project was transparency to the degree where you could listen through the matrix with the inserts normaled and it would sound the same as the source.

I guess the idea I had that day while bike-riding panned out. We all owe Roger a big debt of gratitude for the layout that allows me to share it. I hope we can do something else like it soon.

BTW is that an older EAO 01-XXX series switch on the front panel? Where do you get those now?
isophase

Post by isophase »

Hi wayne,
yes the switch is an EAO 01-283 it came from an old telefunken console module that was part of a junk box i was lucky enough to put my hands on before it was going to be thrown away by this electronics guy... most of the switches were broken though, i could recycle about 5 out of 10 + some nice 17 position gold contact dual rotary switch that i also wanted to use with the matrix for width control, but i changed my mind due to too much soldering work for a not so indispensable feature i thought...
the EAO are very good switches! i dismantled one apart out of curiosity they are made like swiss clocks !
i might add a pair of toggle switches in the future for Mid/Side solo option
thanks again for the cool project!
best regards,
Jon
poacherD

Post by poacherD »

I'm finding myself overwhelmed with all the awesome information being presented here!

I love the idea of having the mid+side mute functions, as well as the width control - is there any way I could get a rundown of these options in terms of physically wiring up the PCB, so that I can perhaps learn to understand the block diagrams and schems a little better?

I'm really new at this stuff, and coming to think that I may have dove into the deep end before I could really swim here...

I'll take no offense if you guys don't want to waste your time though! I'll figure it out eventually looking at various build pictures and trying to slam the theory through my skull!

Thanks for the great PCB and info folks!
mediatechnology

See if this helps...

poacherD

Post by poacherD »

It actually does a lot, but I'm still confused by what Ry1-8 are.

For example. given that the mutes are right after the M-in/S-in segments, would I have those mute switches attached to the inserts "FS, and FM?"

Forgive my ignorance, I'm just trying to learn! You guys seem like absolute ninjas...
"
mediatechnology

For example. given that the mutes are right after the M-in/S-in segments, would I have those mute switches attached to the inserts "FS, and FM?"
Correct.
poacherD

Post by poacherD »

Thanks for the replies guys, really helps a lot - I understand that it can be a pain to guide someone new like me. I've been looking for night courses to learn more about electronics in my area, but it looks like I'll have to keep fumbling in the dark. Do you guys recommend any books to start with, rather than just trying to build and learn via trial and error?

I had one last question, and it was in regards to the buying list - specifically, the 2 pin headers, and 8 pin sockets. I'm having a pretty difficult time figuring out which ones to buy, because I'm not sure which are going to fit. Sorry if I'm missing something completely obvious, again I'm new!

I've been having a blast reading the discussion on this forum and learning a lot!

Thanks again...

Dylan
ricardo

Post by ricardo »

poacherD wrote:Do you guys recommend any books to start with, rather than just trying to build and learn via trial and error?
http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=8785.0

Go out and buy the 1st book on that list.

"The Art of Electronics" - Horowitz & Hill

It will take you from basic Ohm's Law and you will still be using it when you are a true guru in your old age. :ugeek: