Gentle persuasion over time

Relax in southern comfort on the east bank of the Mississippi. You're just around the corner from Beale Street and Sun Records. Watch the ducks, throw back a few and tell us what's on your mind.
JR.

Re: Gentle persuasion over time

Post by JR. »

I just realized that If I weaken the trunk with my chain saw then pull down the tree with my come along, I will pull it down right on top of me... :lol: I may need to change the attachment lines to include a directional change.

Temp is cool and dropping already so not today, but soon.

JR

[edit]
comealong.jpg
I moved the come along and tie line to wrap around a near by tree so I am not in the exact line of fire, but I will still need to be alert.

Today while re-tensioning the come along, the tree was making promising creaking sounds like I might be able to just pull it down now. It is pretty windy today and tree was swaying some. The live trees generally sway more than the dead one (more branches) but today is windy enough to even get the dead wood moving. [/edit]
Cancel the "cancel culture", do not support mob hatred.
Radardoug

Post by Radardoug »

Maybe get the ladder out? The higher you can put your rope up the tree, the more tension you can put on it.
JR.

Post by JR. »

Radardoug wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:43 pm Maybe get the ladder out? The higher you can put your rope up the tree, the more tension you can put on it.
Yup I am familiar with the concept of torque and moment arms ("give me a long enough lever and I can move the world"). I tried to move the tie line up a little higher with a pole but it slipped off... my good ladder is too heavy for this old man to carry all the way over there for fractionally more torque. My original plan was not to pull the tree down but steer it away from the neighbors building after I cut it....

That said it was making noises today like maybe I could pull it down without even firing up my chain saw. Hopefully tomorrow will be warmer.

JR
Radardoug

Post by Radardoug »

Do you know the trick of cutting out a wedge on the side where you want it to go?
JR.

Post by JR. »

Radardoug wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:01 am Do you know the trick of cutting out a wedge on the side where you want it to go?
That isn't exactly a trick, but even trying to steer the tree with notches doesn't work if the center of mass is pulling it the other way... I had one large tree fall in almost the opposite direction from where I tried to steer it by cutting a wedge. :oops: That was years ago and the exception, most trees I have dropped over the decades behave more or less. 8-)

This dead tree has other issues as in the trunk is not healthy and solid, it has been dead for a few years now (hit by lightning), so could be a little unpredictable when it finally comes down... I have been nudging this in the right direction for a few months and I feel lucky about the center of mass/lean angle now favoring the direction I want, plus the come along pulling/holding it from going the wrong way. Maybe I'll finish it off tomorrow if it warms up a little.

A few years ago I dropped an even more rotten tree in my neighbors yard, and he wouldn't come within 50 feet of where I was cutting. He used to operate a logging company when younger so he has seen first hand how unpredictable and dangerous rotten tree trunks can be. That rotten one in my neighbor's yard came down without any drama, despite a couple different kinds of ants eating it from inside, but I took my old neighbor's advice and was especially careful.

JR
Radardoug

Post by Radardoug »

Yes, I have lots of gums here that I have to drop. Having a tree fall on you can really set back your day! Mostly now I put a block and tackle as high up the tree as I can get and pull it the way I want it to go.
JR.

Post by JR. »

Since Terkio shared it first I will credit him with the strategy of pulling the weakened tree down in the direction you want.
tree2.jpg
It is still stuck to the stump at its base and not completely down on the ground, but no longer a hazard to fall wherever it wants.

It is tangled up in another junk tree that I may have to drop too. Compared to this puppy that one will be easy. 8-)

This tree is taller than my yard is wide so a good thing I could drop it in the exact direction I wanted.

I have more work to do cleaning this up later, but the dodgy part is finished. The trunk was not as rotten as I feared, only one side was eaten by ants, lots of solid wood left holding it up. It took a few tries to pull it down because I didn't cut with the chain saw while it was under tension so took my time. The third loosen, cut some more, then tighten again cycle was the charm. :D

JR
terkio

Post by terkio »

8-)
Edit. Good move to a safe direction.
Not done, yet.
Tangles can be nasty, double care about unpredictable moves from spring effects.
JR.

Post by JR. »

I am proceeding slowly/carefully...

Today I pulled the tree trunk off the stump down onto the ground, but it was more like "into" the ground... That sucker must weigh more than a ton...

With the come-along I pulled it about a foot off to one side, but that isn't going to work.. plowing a furrow into my yard...and wore me out after one foot (I'm old). I need to come up with some kind of a skid/sled(?) to put under the trunk so it will slide better and not dig into the loose dirt.

I will resist the temptation to cut the trunk into shorter lengths in place... Too f'n heavy.

I'll get er dun, like I said the hard part is done. :lol:

JR
JR.

Post by JR. »

It looks like the dead tree is being held up by an only 2-3" diameter limb... I don't believe that. I suspect the small limb is holding the dead trunk against the main trunk of the live tree, that is strong enough to support the weight.

If I can shift the dead trunk enough to put its full weight on that small branch alone it should shear off and drop. I wouldn't mind taking down that junk tree too, but not while holding a ton of wood up in the air.

Slow progress... measure twice cut once....

JR