Gentle persuasion over time

Relax in southern comfort on the east bank of the Mississippi. You're just around the corner from Beale Street and Sun Records. Watch the ducks, throw back a few and tell us what's on your mind.
JR.

Re: Gentle persuasion over time

Post by JR. »

I did not find a proper tilt meter at wally world but I found a level with a bubble that can be rotated with a pointer to angle of bubble rotation. The resolution is not great (2') marks, but good enough to see a tilt difference.

Tree is leaning 2 degrees toward the store, and 3 degrees at a right angle to the left.

===

I checked and have two other optional anchors (trees) more supportive to the direction of the new(?) lean. One tree is slightly forward toward the store so not a great choice, but another option is not on a straight line away from the store, but perhaps more supportive of the new lean direction while still protective (hopefully).

Project for this weekend.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture", do not support mob hatred.
Gold

Post by Gold »

A person I know who is an arborist recently had an accident that may permanently put him in a wheelchair. It's a family business and he's been doing it his whole life. Be careful.
mediatechnology

Post by mediatechnology »

Gold wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:13 pm A person I know who is an arborist recently had an accident that may permanently put him in a wheelchair. It's a family business and he's been doing it his whole life. Be careful.
Why I don't climb.
JR.

Post by JR. »

I don't climb trees these days for a pretty simple reason... I'm over 70 years old... :lol:

I moved the come along around to a different angle more sympathetic to the new lean angle.

With less tension than I just relaxed, I heard the trunk make creaking noises, like it is getting ready to fall. :lol:

I stopped cranking in more tension for now, but I am getting optimistic about maybe pulling this puppy down...

No hurry, I can wait a few more days, and do this carefully.

JR

PS: My old neighbor (RIP) ran a logging company and he warned me to respect rotten trees. This one is rotting before my eyes.
mediatechnology

I have an Arizona Ash, still living, that I believe is diseased and I decided to have it taken out next year.
I chipped out a piece of bark by hand this evening.
If it falls it might take out primary on the line across the street which feeds the entire block.
mediatechnology

Gold wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:00 am I harvested a bunch of paper birch from a downed tree on the hill across the street. Paper birch grows with a straight trunk with no branches until the top of the tree. The only way to get smaller branches is to cut one down or find a downed tree. I made these wall sconces for the propane lanterns we use.
I really like the sconces Paul.
Gold

Post by Gold »

mediatechnology wrote: Why I don't climb.

He wasn’t climbing. It was a miscommunication and he got caught between two trees on the ground that were being dragged.
Gold

Post by Gold »

Thanks Wayne. I like making stuff:)
It’s in the Adirondack furniture tradition.
The nicest stuff is made by www.dartbrookrustic.com

A lot of other stuff is cheesy. Next up is a door cover like the vinyl strip thing on a cold meat storage room. I’m making it out of a Y branch and felt strips. I’m stapling up felt now but this should look nicer.
terkio

Post by terkio »

Rustic junck. Dust catchers.
JR.

Post by JR. »

Not to change the subject, but back on topic :lol: I just cranked the come along a few clicks tighter in the new lean direction. No audible creaks today but I do see vertical cracks opening up in the deteriorating tree trunk. These vertical cracks appear to be getting wider too.... a good thing IMO.

Oddly I see some holes in the side of the trunk that appear created by birds hunting for bugs, but now there are acorns wedged into these holes?? Perhaps some overly optimistic squirrels?

I feel lucky that this dead tree may not make it past new years...

JR