Entropy

Relax in southern comfort on the east bank of the Mississippi. You're just around the corner from Beale Street and Sun Records. Watch the ducks, throw back a few and tell us what's on your mind.
JR.

Re: Entropy

Post by JR. »

I didn't see any obvious contamination on the hot wire (looks like a coiled light bulb) element.

The two shots of spray clean made an obvious difference to engine behavior, so I will give it another more rigorous douche next week, when my replacement air filter arrives, and I remove the whole MAF assembly and sit it out on the driveway.

I didn't like the idea of spaying too much cleaner poop into the intake, even though it is suitably flammable, and evaporates.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture", do not support mob hatred.
JR.

Post by JR. »

Today my replacement K&N air filter arrived so I could finish my air intake maintenance. I removed the MAF sensor housing and gave it a proper douche with spray cleaner out on the driveway... The spray can said to give it 10-12 shots and that seemed excessive (even though it was my neighbor's can). I gave it a couple sprays than let it sit for a few minutes, then another couple, then another... so maybe a half dozen total.

The 20 years newer K&N air filter looked prettier (while the old one wasn't all that bad) and they changed the fit a little so it fits more snugly.

After putting humpty back together I took it for a test ride on a back road near my house. Before this MAF cleaning experiment it didn't start acting almost normal until the ride back from shopping 8 Miles away..... Today less than 2 miles from home and barely up to temperature, I gave it a test punch... It was faster than I remember when brand new... In first gear accelerating through about 6,000 RPM it felt like the rear wheels were losing traction and about to break loose on a straight road. Second gear still was a little punky (but still fast) while not as bad as last time. I suspect several years of light pedal baby footing around has allowed some carbon to build up. As long as it keeps getting better each time, I think I need more test rides. :lol:

In the same shipment as the air filter my new spark plugs arrived (also past due for replacement). But I need to disassemble too much on the passenger side of the motor to reach the plugs over there "and" it was 97' in the shade today, so nah... I'll drink a cold beer and take the win for now.

I can do the plugs another day... 8-)

JR
mediatechnology

Post by mediatechnology »

JR - Congrats on your cleaned MAF sensor. Hold on to your old car - new ones from the last couple of years are like nanny's.

Had to defrost the drain line on the self-defrosting freezer day-before-yesterday.
Every time the freezer went to self-defrost the refrigerator below attempted to flood.

Earlier this spring when we were having wild temperature springs the contents of that refrigerator froze.
Apparently the drain line just below the heated drip pan developed a frozen plug.
When it went through a defrost cycle there was heat long enough to melt ice on the coils but not enough heat to melt the frozen plug below it.
A glacier formed.

To fix it I had to pull out the false bottom of the freezer and run a blow dryer to melt the glacier and find the drain hole under a sheet of ice.
Once that was cleaned up it wouldn't drain.
I could stick my little finger in the drain hole and feel the ice plug about an inch below the pan.
Some hot water and a turkey baster opened the plug.

I left the false bottom out and the following morning I got lucky enough that it ran a defrost cycle.
Fortunately it drained this time so I buttoned it up.
I've never had a drain line freeze like that.

For those of you that wonder where this water goes it falls into an evaporator pan where warm compressor-coil air passes over it.

While on the subject of refrigerators never, ever, ever transport one in the horizontal position.
When this happens compressor oil is displaced out of the compressor.
If run right away the compressor will burn up.

You will always be delivered a refrigerator from an appliance dealer upright.
If you somehow come into possession of a 'fridge that's been laying horizontal let it stand upright at least a week before running it.
This should be common sense but its not.
billshurv

Post by billshurv »

Troubles, it would appear come in 4s for me. Bottom bracket on bike has failed and the toilet cistern has started leaking.

I haven't had to remove cranks off a bike in 20 years. Can I remember where the special tool is? No chance :( . Steel bike so I doubt the BB will come out without a fight either. Time to admit defeat and pay someone...
mediatechnology

I've always had my crank torn down by a shop with the tool.
I watched them do it once and it was seized pretty tightly.
Even if I had the tool I didn't want to be the guy stripping it out.

Not familiar with the term toilet cistern.
Is that the top tank or the septic tank?
billshurv

Post by billshurv »

Cistern is the bit that holds the flush full of water. We have what is called a 'close coupled' unit where the cistern is directly placed on the bowl with (I assume) an o-ring to seal.

And yup. 30 year old steel bike frame with BB that has been there at least 15 years. It'll need some grunt to remove! And the knowledge of how much force can be applied...
mediatechnology

There is indeed a rubber gasket coupling the upper tank and the bowl.
I've had to have one replaced by someone else for the same reasons I had someone else break down my bicycle crank.

You remind me that I have a toilet fill valve that needs replacement...
JR.

Post by JR. »

mediatechnology wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:27 am JR - Congrats on your cleaned MAF sensor. Hold on to your old car - new ones from the last couple of years are like nanny's.
Normally I would have replaced this car by now, but think i will just ride this car into the sunset... (Blue book is still something like $13k, not bad for a 22YO car).
Had to defrost the drain line on the self-defrosting freezer day-before-yesterday.
Every time the freezer went to self-defrost the refrigerator below attempted to flood.

Earlier this spring when we were having wild temperature springs the contents of that refrigerator froze.
Apparently the drain line just below the heated drip pan developed a frozen plug.
When it went through a defrost cycle there was heat long enough to melt ice on the coils but not enough heat to melt the frozen plug below it.
A glacier formed.

To fix it I had to pull out the false bottom of the freezer and run a blow dryer to melt the glacier and find the drain hole under a sheet of ice.
Once that was cleaned up it wouldn't drain.
I could stick my little finger in the drain hole and feel the ice plug about an inch below the pan.
Some hot water and a turkey baster opened the plug.
I wonder if a splash of antifreeze, or booze if concerned about putting poison in your refer, might loosen up and melt the ice jam.
I left the false bottom out and the following morning I got lucky enough that it ran a defrost cycle.
Fortunately it drained this time so I buttoned it up.
I've never had a drain line freeze like that.
a few decades ago I had a roommate who moved out of the house we were sharing and left some frozen chicken in the freezer. Of course when the house was left empty the fridge was unplugged... The putrified chicken blood ran down the drain tubes and smelled up the house horribly. I ended up coming back to the empty house and cleaning the blood out with ammonia. I am still friends with the guy who shall remain nameless. He was amused when I reminded him of the event, I was less amused but don't hold grudges for inconsiderate stoner behavior decades ago.
For those of you that wonder where this water goes it falls into an evaporator pan where warm compressor-coil air passes over it.

While on the subject of refrigerators never, ever, ever transport one in the horizontal position.
When this happens compressor oil is displaced out of the compressor.
If run right away the compressor will burn up.

You will always be delivered a refrigerator from an appliance dealer upright.
If you somehow come into possession of a 'fridge that's been laying horizontal let it stand upright at least a week before running it.
This should be common sense but its not.
not that common but a useful fact...thanx

JR
billshurv

Post by billshurv »

It's always been said not to power up a fridge for 48 hours after moving it in UK. Not sure how the modern invertor ones are different, other than the odd noises they make. I kind of miss the wobbly rattle of the old fridge.
Gold

Post by Gold »

Gold wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:48 pm I got the new de soldering station. I really like it. It works great and doesn’t feel cheap. My suspicions that it’s a Hakko knockoff seem correct. The holder came with a Hakko 808 desoldering gun. See pictures.E4EBCD42-6767-4242-A873-702CCA767194.jpeg
E737E306-D618-4DA3-A11F-DE0BA9725EE5.jpeg

A couple of weeks ago I tried to empty the glass tube and cracked it. The fit and finish on these is poor. It's very difficult to remove and replace the tube because the portion of the gun that's supposed to slide back doesn't have enough travel. You really have to jam the tube in there. Its easy to have the pieces inside move around when you are doing that. either the parts fly all over the place or they move around nd block the air flow.

I had to wait a couple of weeks for replacement parts. After some experimentation I found a technique to empty and replace the tube without breaking it. The front goes in first with the rear partially seated. With the tube partially seated in the rear slide the spring, filter and metal piece in place. Then seat the rear of the tube.

The thing is touchy. I won't leave it cooking all day like I did with the Weller. I also ordered an extra gun to be safe. Since through hole is becoming less common these type of desoldering stations are becoming more rare. Hakko used to have two price points and now they only have an expensive one for over $700. I could buy a lot of replacement parts for that kind of money.