Entropy

Relax in southern comfort on the east bank of the Mississippi. You're just around the corner from Beale Street and Sun Records. Watch the ducks, throw back a few and tell us what's on your mind.
mediatechnology

Re: Entropy

Post by mediatechnology »

I'm still laughing about Brian Roth thinking I'm a environmentalist tree hugger for my early adoption of LED lighting.

I think there may have been worries I was behind some incandescent lamp confiscation gestapo going house-to-house.
I just liked the way they looked and don't get hot.
I'm completely CFL-free but have two incandescent hold-outs: The electric ovens and the Lava Lamp.

I take all the electricity savings from the LEDs and burn it off in the gas light outside.
It's beautiful, has a nice glow, and helps contribute to much-needed global warming. :roll:
Hell were all gonna die in 12 years anyway so might as well enjoy it.
JR.

Post by JR. »

I was a little conflicted today as I burned a big pile of leaves and pine straw in my yard, but it seems inevitable if we can't shove catalytic convertors up cows bums. :lol:

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture", do not support mob hatred.
brianroth

Post by brianroth »

Wayne, I had to wander back in the "pink ranch" thread to recall if/when I called you a tree hugger...LOL!

I found it from 2014, and I was on a rant about a CFL I had that almost burned down the house, and the gummint's award to Philips for "innovation" of a $50 LED bulb. Grumpy old man that I was/am, I was stockpiling 60W incandescents.

I'm feeling much better now <g>, but still suspicious about the life spans. But, the LED's are priced much more reasonably, as long as they last for a fraction of the promises on the package. Used to be pack of four GE 60W bulbs, 4000 hours for the pack, $1.00 when watching sales ads.

Color temp for the LED's as perceived by my aging eyes are all over the map, however.

Maybe this thread should move back to the pink ranch.....

Bri
Professional audio and video systems design/installation/maintenance.
www.BrianRoth.com
billshurv

Post by billshurv »

JR. wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:58 pm I just document the failures, I don't cause them...

JR
Convinced you have some superpower. It's 12W instead of 5W so I can find things in the mudroom now (well more a lean to shed on the side of our hovel). I need some lighting for macro photography and have outline approval for some 10W LED floods for that, which when not being used for photography will be extra lighting for there.
JR.

Post by JR. »

I just repaired an older widow neighbor's dining room ceiling light fixture. The hanging lamp had a 3 way light socket and the switch had disintegrated after decades of heat (inside a glass globe). I didn't find the exact replacement socket, but close enough (the original had a several inch long extension on the 3-way rotary switch).

I was surprised to find 3 wires inside the lamp fixture. Apparently they ground the metal lamp fixture parts. I guessed correctly about which were line and neutral. The replacement LED bulb fired up and should run cool enough. Have I mentioned lately that I hate squirrels?

===

I decided not to tear into that same neighbor's breaker panel. They have a string of multiple outlets in their living room, on a single branch, dead as a door nail. I suspect either a bad breaker, or attic rodents chewed a wire.

I was pleased to hear she is taking my advice and hiring an electrician. I don't want to burn down somebody else's house. If I burn down my own house I can use the viking funeral option. :lol:

JR
Gold

Post by Gold »

The term “tree hugger” is an interesting term to use these days. I think it’s left over from an era when clear cutting of forests was common in the logging industry. The tree huggers were against the working man and valued trees over humans.

Fast forward to today and the logging industry has adopted sustainable practices for survival. In the Adirondacks logging is considered environmentally friendly. Forest products are encouraged as an industry. The state university has its forestry program there.
billshurv

Post by billshurv »

Well we still call the Prince of Wales a tree hugger!
billshurv

Post by billshurv »

So when is standby not standby?

Close to getting my second most delayed project running. This would be the infinity sub I picked up in 1998 missing its controller. Well I have miniDSP now so don't need a controller. Only part missing to get it running is the standby/operate function that used to be built into the controller. Which needs power. Only enough to saturate a transistor so I have a cunning plan for that.

But looking at the service manual I noticed that 'standby' isn't actually a standby mode, it just opens the speaker protection relay. Everything else remains fully powered. I'd call that 'mute' TBH. I had expected it to at least power off the 55V rails to the power amp. Now I will be honest in that I have never looked much at protection circuits but this one manages to pack in standby switch, DC offset, power on thump protection and thermal disconnect into one in a way that makes me think I would have done it differently, but this product was launched in 1991 and only the japanese would lob in a microcontroller back then.

Of course the real fun will come when I find out how the servostatik bit has fared after 20 years of not being used. If the accelerometer has unglued could be some comedy effects for about 2 seconds until something goes fzzzt. :)
mediatechnology

Post by mediatechnology »

Gold wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:45 am The term “tree hugger” is an interesting term to use these days. I think it’s left over from an era when clear cutting of forests was common in the logging industry. The tree huggers were against the working man and valued trees over humans.

Fast forward to today and the logging industry has adopted sustainable practices for survival. In the Adirondacks logging is considered environmentally friendly. Forest products are encouraged as an industry. The state university has its forestry program there.
Tree hugger is dated at least a decade.
Good forest management is essential to a healthy forest and that sometimes means cutting down trees.
I've spent years clearing out the sucker trees (overgrown bushes) so my Eastern Red Cedars can feed.

I've actually had a nightmare about someone showing up to cut down all of my trees.
If that happened I'd probably run and hug them too.
I love my trees and they love me back.
But I also love my chainsaw.

As soon as it warms up I've got some brush to drag.
JR.

Post by JR. »

www wrote: The term “tree hugger” was first coined 1730, when 294 men and 69 women of the Bishnois branch of Hinduism, physically clung, or “hugged” the trees in their village in order to prevent them from being used to build a palace. These “tree huggers” were then killed by the foresters cutting down the trees.Mar 24, 2014
I have a stand of ten pine trees towering above power lines on one edge of my property. I am apprehensive about the cost to pay professionals to top and remove these (could be $ thousands each). Back before hurricane Katrina logging companies advertised in the weekly shoppers that they would remove trees like this for free... not any more. :roll:
DSCF0109.JPG
Coincidentally about a week ago, some guy parked his new (old) dump truck on the corner lot near my property. I noticed his tail lights were on after he parked it and left, so I walked over the next time he returned to tell him, in case he didn't know. He mentioned that he works as a tree trimmer and has also worked as a power company lineman, so is capable and has access to an 80' bucket truck. I told him to come around during the week and we could talk business.

He hasn't come around (yet) but his dump truck is still parked where he left it. Hopefully we can reach a fair price. My neighbor has as many old trees as I do in need of attention so it could be a decent job for him.

=====
My old chainsaw resisted all of my attempts to make it serviceable, after replacing pretty much every part that unbolts (expecting ethanol damage, and it suffered plenty of that). I even took it to my small motor whisperer as a last resort and he couldn't fix it. My suspicion is that the crankcase has an air leak that prevented it from creating enough compression/suction to draw fuel effectively. It would fire but not keep running. My new (a few years ago) Stihl, still starts and works well... The modern chainsaws have added safety features the older ones didn't, so it is probably a good thing I couldn't fix the old one.

JR