Dielectric Absorption

Where we discuss new analog design ideas for Pro Audio and modern spins on vintage ones.
emrr

Re: Dielectric Absorption

Post by emrr »

mediatechnology wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:24 am I need a Duracell 504 15V and found that Exell were making a lot of vintage battery replacements.
I don't suppose there is enough of a demand for those but Exell is a good resource. http://www.exellbattery.com/
Last I looked a few years ago there wasn't a source I could find for those discontinued types. Cost still puts me off, but nice to see someone is doing it. I'm thinking (4) 45V batteries at $120 isn't in my future.

I still have that Mallory cell somewhere, I'll test and photograph when I find it again. It was in a box of parts in an unheated garage! Part of an estate.

On DA: I had a Sytek preamp go squirrelly after 20 years, symptom being gain that would zipper up and down by a few dB, almost like an oscillation. Seems like a possible cause. Not all channels, 2 of 4.
Best,

Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
JR.

Post by JR. »

mediatechnology wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:15 am This morning's voltage read was 1.546V.

Higher than yesterday and could be measurement error. I only leave the meter connected for about a second since I don't want its 10MΩ load to discharge it too much.
You're no fun.... :lol: I would expect the current to stabilize at some low but nearly constant rate for a while....

Likewise if you charge the cap from a stable DC it would keep drawing a tiny current for a similar while after nearly full.

You have an interesting combination of low leakage (preventing self-discharge), and high distributed capacitance (like many RCs in parallel.)

JR
Doug: Do you suppose that the increased series R of the vintage capacitors might be due to a combination of heat, voltage/current and epoxy/Bakelite reacting to form an oxide or crud on the plates? Similar to cathode crud? Maybe lead attachment to plates junction?
Cancel the "cancel culture", do not support mob hatred.
Gold

Post by Gold »

Semi OT: I'd like to put together a jig to test DC leakage current in Al caps. I don't have a high voltage DC bench supply. +/- 20VDC is all I've got. I have a variable auto former and was thinking I could make a full wave rectifier from diodes. This of course would be dirty DC without any filtering. Would the raw DC be okay for testing DC leakage current?
mediatechnology

Post by mediatechnology »

How high a voltage do you need?

The auto-transformer won't provide any line isolation which you really want from a safety viewpoint.
You could use an autotransformer adjusted to a low voltage and a 120:24 transformer in reverse (24:120) to obtain a poor-man's isolation transformer.
Then rectify the secondary...

Doug - I think you mentioned that they battery was physically clipped to the cathode terminal. Was it electrically connected from the cathode to ground where we would normally see a resistor?
Gold

Post by Gold »

Thanks. 100VDC is probably the highest voltage cap I use on a regular basis. The variac into a reversed 120:24 transformer is a good idea and I have some on hand.
JR.

Post by JR. »

You might be able to get a sense of good/bad parts with phantom power (48V DC), and a sensitive ammeter (VOM).

JR

[edit] I returned it already but I borrowed a dedicated insulation tester when I was designing my outlet tester... it would provide up to 500V DC for testing up to 100s of Megohms Image (I was measuring that 550M across a mosfet input).[/edit
Gold

Post by Gold »

I have a few different power transformers. I’ll throw a few in a box with a bridge rectifier and some binding posts to patch in what I need. I mostly want it to test big computer caps in power supplies. Those caps can be upwards of $40 each sonits worth taking the time to test them. It’s not worth the time to test a $0.25 cap.
JR.

Post by JR. »

Before I borrowed a proper 500V tester I rolled my own high voltage supply with some common transformers I had laying around.

Connect 120V to the primary of one, and connect all the secondaries together in parallel. Then string the floating energized primaries in series. I stacked up 4x28V transformers to make 480V... Of course be careful... I think I put a 1/10A fuse in series with first primary but it could still make hazardous currents at deadly voltage. :o

JR
240.JPG
mediatechnology

Post by mediatechnology »

I didn't want to post this yesterday on April Fools Day.

The peak voltage this morning was about 1.56V.
After leaving the meter on for a few seconds it "discharges" and actually goes negative a bit.
Removing the meter and allowing a few seconds for recovery and re-measuring shows about 1.56V again.
Dielectric absorption is sort of like stubbornness.

This particular capacitor was the one I used to check the Meanwell RS-25-48: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=943#p11175
JR.

Post by JR. »

The failure to self discharge seems unusual... Either extremely high impedance for internal distributed capacitance, or perhaps a non-linear self discharge characteristic.

If it repeatedly returns to a nominal 1V+ you could calculate an internal impedance from equilibrium current.

JR