Mid Side M-S Matrix Construction Information

Construction information for DIY projects, including the MS Mid Side Matrix, Elliptic Equalizer, Mastering Console, Phono Transfer System, Insert Switcher and the Dual Class-A Amplifier. You can post your baby pictures here.
matthias

Re: Mid Side M-S Matrix Construction Information

Post by matthias »

Thanks for your help, Roger!

regarding the 1240/1200 I still have a lot of 1200 and 1206 ics but no 1240 and 1246
so I want to use them if that's possible...

if you look at the specs in the datasheets the 1200 has a slightly better noise performance
I always thouht this is the best line receiver to buy...

http://www.thatcorp.com/datashts/1200data.pdf
http://www.thatcorp.com/datashts/1240data.pdf
dagoose

Post by dagoose »

Hi there

My first post on this forum :mrgreen:

I just finished building and fast testing of my MS matrix and i must say, it's great!
I'm going to implement it soon into my mastering console which is passive with just a lot of relays and now it's going to an MS matrix as well! :o
The console has 6 inserts, 3x eq and 3x compressor with the abililty to hard bypass and flipping order from comp>eq to eq>comp by pushing a button.
I already use it for some time now and i still love it but i wanted the MS in from the beginning and now it's finally going to happen! :D

I was wondering though, will i benefit from changing the 5532 to an OPA2604? i have some spares so it's just matter of flipping out the 5532 and pushing in the OPA.

If you could choose between and MS EQ or an MS compressor, what would you choose?
I'm asking this because i'm thinking of just going to use the MS for EQíng in mastering and since it's going to be a LOT more relays if i want it switchable in the console when i want the 'full monty'.
What would you do?

Anyway.. i will post pics of the progress and the result!
This is the console in it's recent state and yes, i know.. not enough room for the PSU and MS matrix but i allready have a deeper case prepared. :mrgreen:
dagoose

Post by dagoose »

OK, i'm going for a MS eq and MS eq and compressor switchable MS matrix in my mastering console.
I calculated that i need 16 relays extra but what the hell. 8-)
I can probably do with less if want to but i don't want any crosstalk and thngs like that so everything is going to have a seperate circuit.

I also decided to make the PSU external and not just because i need more room to fit it all in but also because of the noise benefit i will have when doing that.
I ordered a nice sepererate box which is going to hold 2 tranny's/psu's, one for powering all the relays/led's at 12v and the other for the 18v ms matrix.
The nice thing about it all is that it will still fit in a 1u case and when done it's kinda like a manley backbone but then in 1u.
dagoose

Post by dagoose »

I built a passive, relay based masteringconsole some time ago and i always wanted Mid/Side and so i took out the iron and modded it to the console of my dreams. Grin

Is has 6 inserts, 3x compressor, 3x EQ with flippable order (comp>eq eq>comp) by the push of a button.
The inserts are selected by 2x 3 steps lorlins powering relays.
Both eq and comp have a dedicated hard bypass.
Then we have the mid/side option (wayne kirkwood ms matrix) that can be inserted in the EQ path or compressor path by the push of a button, so ms eq or ms compressor all with full bypass, order etc functionality! (16 relays just for inserting)
Ofcourse it is fully balanced all the way and inserts are done with 24 6,3mm jacks in the back of the panel, in and out are XLR's.
The psu is external, 12v for all relays and + and - 18v for the MS matrix, both have their own tranny's and psu.
In total it has 63(!) relays to make everything work, all done on veroboard! Cool
All settings are visual by the color of the buttons, they have 2 color leds so when red it is in bypass and when green (comp) or yellow (eq) is lit you can see it's active, same for MS, green is comp, yellow is ms eq.
The front is done with lasertran but i wll probably go for mittelbronze schaeffer panel soon.

It is totally clean and really works like a charm and i'm really proud of it!

ok... time for some pics...

Bruno2000

Post by Bruno2000 »

Wow! That's really nice! I'm going to have to show this to our mastering guy, but he's going to want one, too. What Comps and EQs will you be using?
Best,
Bruno2000
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away - Tom Waits
mediatechnology

Post by mediatechnology »

Just wanted to mention that MS boards and IC kits will be available again. I expect delivery around the beginning of the second week of April. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=346
mediatechnology

MS Board Stuffing Notes

Wanted to remind our newest crop of builders of a few points regarding board stuffing:

1) The positive terminal of the polarized capacitors are square. The 1646 sense caps (which are not in series with the output) can be polarized or bi-polar.

2) The bridge rectifiers provide protection from phantom power faults applied to the output. They are optional.

3) The solid line to the left of each bridge rectifier is not a jumper and should be left open. (The location is used for a 600 Ohm pre-loading resistor if the line driver is an SSM2142 or DRV134.)

These are about the only questions that have come up routinely and I thought it would be a good idea to revisit them.

Wayne
sr1200

Post by sr1200 »

Are the values i put in the top of this schem for the PS ok. L1 is an LED not what is listed and the resistor R7 after that can be from 1K to 10K.

http://www.meirecords.com/BJ/01-PSU_Schematic.jpg

also, what transformer should go with this (running at the recommended 18v)

should i go higher than something like this (
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSea ... ds=TE62064 or more like
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSea ... ds=TE62085 (overkill?)
)

Sorry im kind of a newb at all of this.
mediatechnology

sr1200. I found the original document link on the web server:

http://www.ka-electronics.com/PicoComp/ ... uments.htm

The values you show are about right based on the BOM there. C3 is meant to be a film or mono ceramic around 100 nF.

Here's a ripple estimator: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=106&p=886&hilit=ripple#p886

Unless you're driving lots of lights and relays you may not need the bulk capcitance you show. FWIW the transformer spec'd was for a Pico Comp and provides far more current than the 40 mA or so the MS board draws. I'll check those Digi-Key links in a few.
sr1200

Post by sr1200 »

thanks for the link. :)
I planned on doing a small pre and post VU meter (LED) probably only 5 segments each (so like 20 LEDS) I dont know if that counts as a lot of lights.

Im also still not decided on if i should integrate this with a analog sum box im designing. Im leaning toward keeping this a separate unit all together.