old telephone repair

This is where we talk about testing, measuring and repairing things. Sometimes we have to repair the equipment we use to test, measure and repair other things. It's an endless cycle of fixing the broken things we need to fix other broken things.
JR.

Re: old telephone repair

Post by JR. »

Probably explained the early popularity of the 555 timer chip. :lol:

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture", do not support mob hatred.
JR.

Post by JR. »

I have run out of justification for throwing more time at this... I have found so many different schematics that I get dizzy. :roll:

I did order a brand new $7 phone to put in my bathroom...the wiring will cost more than that new phone.

My inner nerd is dragging feet over trashing this old phone.. to make it a dumb answer only extension, pretty much what it was before I tried to fix it should be relatively simple...

There is a side tone blocking transformer to keep microphone out of ear piece, and hook switch to connect/disconnect to phone line.. But not today, and maybe not this year... :lol:

JR

PS: BTW Wayne, my new bar of normal old Dial soap is stinking up my bathroom with perfume... I do not recall dial soap smelling that strong.
billshurv

Post by billshurv »

Sometimes it's ok to admit defeat.

Right now I am ordering spares for a fisher price toy! After one too many trips to the floor the speaker died. My wife argued for just buying a new toy, but I did point out the speaker was £2 and a new toy £20, so I won that battle just...
JR.

Post by JR. »

billshurv wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:30 pm Sometimes it's ok to admit defeat.
That is the hardest part... I pride myself on being able to fix almost anything. I can just about guess a schematic for this, not rocket science.

But no longer worth the effort. It looks like the old WE POTS phone platform has been bastardized with so many variants that the same subassemblies get remapped in different ways making terminal labels almost useless.
Right now I am ordering spares for a fisher price toy! After one too many trips to the floor the speaker died. My wife argued for just buying a new toy, but I did point out the speaker was £2 and a new toy £20, so I won that battle just...
Like fixing my solar driveway lamp? :lol:

Buying a brand new phone cost far less than the used phone and parts to (cough) repair it. I can admit defeat, but its even harder to admit making stupid decisions. :oops:

JR
mediatechnology

Post by mediatechnology »

There is a side tone blocking transformer to keep microphone out of ear piece
The side tone transformer is to feed mic audio back into the earpiece to keep people from yelling.
Cell phones don't do side tone and people yell.

The hybrid transformer and its 2 to 4 wire conversion is a magical thing.

If you want to talk about phone phreaking: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=280
I still keep getting cited on Supreme Court Cases. viewtopic.php?f=11&t=279
JR.

Post by JR. »

mediatechnology wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:17 am
There is a side tone blocking transformer to keep microphone out of ear piece
The side tone transformer is to feed mic audio back into the earpiece to keep people from yelling.
I'll take your word for it... I don't need that, or a ringer for a dumb extension set, but nah... That said I still haven't persuaded myself to throw it away, yet. Hopefully it will be on the same junk pile with my old drain pipes. Pickup is still 2 weeks away so I have time to work up to that. :lol:
Cell phones don't do side tone and people yell.
Some people are naturally loud. I can hear people talking on their phone in the parking lot of the food place (I can't call it restaurant) over 100 yards away.
The hybrid transformer and its 2 to 4 wire conversion is a magical thing.

If you want to talk about phone phreaking: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=280
I still keep getting cited on Supreme Court Cases. viewtopic.php?f=11&t=279
I need to be gutting that used A/V amp I bought to load my hypex amps into.... 8-)

JR
mediatechnology

Post by mediatechnology »

JR. wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:16 am
I need to be gutting that used A/V amp I bought to load my hypex amps into.... 8-)

JR
I'm hoping to see that in Build or Pro Audio Design and not the Repair sub-forum.
Almost all land-line (wired and wireless) phones have employed sidetone, so naturally it was an expected convention for cellular telephony but is not standard by any means. Usability experts believe that lack of adequate sidetone causes some people to shout or speak too loudly when using a cell phone (this behavior is sometimes referred to as "cell yell"). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sidetone
Half the time I'm not even sure if cell calls are actually full-duplex. It's too easy for people to step on each other. Sometimes I feel like I need to say "over" at the end of a sentence.
I don't get that effect when I'm using a "wired" POTS phone on the 4G link so its not the network but the SmartPhone handset.
JR.

Post by JR. »

mediatechnology wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:28 am
JR. wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:16 am

JR
I'm hoping to see that in Build or Pro Audio Design and not the Repair sub-forum.
already started... trying to keep in the correct lanes...

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=804

JR
Almost all land-line (wired and wireless) phones have employed sidetone, so naturally it was an expected convention for cellular telephony but is not standard by any means. Usability experts believe that lack of adequate sidetone causes some people to shout or speak too loudly when using a cell phone (this behavior is sometimes referred to as "cell yell"). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sidetone
Half the time I'm not even sure if cell calls are actually full-duplex. It's too easy for people to step on each other. Sometimes I feel like I need to say "over" at the end of a sentence.
I don't get that effect when I'm using a "wired" POTS phone on the 4G link so its not the network but the SmartPhone handset.
JR.

Post by JR. »

I am about ready to officially clear this off my to-do list... (trash pickup next week).

I will write off the used phone I purchased and replacement keypad that didn't match up, as a stupidity tax that I will pay and learn my lesson.

I just finished installing the brand new chinese $7 phone in my bathroom to answer calls at awkward times (while meditating). This was not part of the original mission but after I repaired my original phone it seemed a good use for repurposed new-old phone number 2. As often happens the simple install took longer and was harder to do than projected.

I already had a hole in the wall from some plastic tubing when I ran outlet water from from my RO filter into the flush tank. (Intersting concept but impractical after I fixed the RO bypass valve that was leaking so much water.)

The too cheap phone extension wire was not trivial to splice after I had to cut it to snake through the hole in the wall.(not trivial either). I ended up having to solder it (tiny stranded wire) back together, but not my best work.

Done... stick a fork in this one. 8-)

JR
billshurv

Post by billshurv »

And I finally fitted a new speaker to the fisher price talking toddler piano this evening. See how long it takes her to break it this time :)