"Digitizing LPs: How To Get Black Gold On Your Hard Drive," Christian Rintelen

A resource for technical documentation. Datasheets, application notes, instruction manuals, books and links to resources are found in the Document Library.
mediatechnology

"Digitizing LPs: How To Get Black Gold On Your Hard Drive," Christian Rintelen

Post by mediatechnology »

Digitizing LPs: "How To Get Black Gold On Your Hard Drive, A White Paper On A Pitch Black Topic," Christian Rintelen

Christian contacted me about the flat moving magnet preamp and sent me this white paper he wrote.

https://www.proaudiodesignforum.com/ima ... ng_LPs.pdf

http://www.rintelen.ch
billshurv

Re: Digitizing LPs: How To Get Black Gold On Your Hard Drive

Post by billshurv »

I recognised that EMT immediately as soon as I saw it as have seen posts from Christian before. nice setup. I think he might be missing a few tricks though. Not least that there is a very good argument for doing an M-S conversion before declicking as the majority of clicks are vertical. Of course there is a point where you are polishing the unpolishable...
mediatechnology

billshurv wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:06 pm I recognised that EMT immediately as soon as I saw it as have seen posts from Christian before. nice setup. I think he might be missing a few tricks though. Not least that there is a very good argument for doing an M-S conversion before declicking as the majority of clicks are vertical. Of course there is a point where you are polishing the unpolishable...
I've noticed that too about clicks being vertical: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=423&p=8195#p8195

Christian has one of my Flat MM Preamps.
billshurv

Post by billshurv »

If I ever get back to my bench to finish the mk1 of the new phono preamp M-S conversion will be a must. I need a mono switch so side comes for free!
JR.

Post by JR. »

billshurv wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:34 pm If I ever get back to my bench to finish the mk1 of the new phono preamp M-S conversion will be a must. I need a mono switch so side comes for free!
I actually put a mono switch in my last phono preamp (ever.. back in the 80's) P-100.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture", do not support mob hatred.
mediatechnology

There's a way to link the two channels on the PTS similar to what JR did for mono or Lateral.

By flipping the input polarity of one balanced input on the EQ/Monitor Switcher and using "Mono," the outputs can be switched to Vertical playback.

MS de-clicking is something I thought might be useful but I never actually tried it.
billshurv

Post by billshurv »

I'll stick with the M-S as it gives me the flexibility for whatever comes (I do have a Russian friend who does things with cartridges and he can modify them for M-S operation by rotating the coils).

I have to admit that, for 35 odd years I never saw the need for a mono switch but added a resistive combiner/splitter on the last lash up preamp I did and it does make a huge difference on mono recordings. Far more than I anticipated, so now am sold on it.