TI Parts Going End of Life

A resource for technical documentation. Datasheets, application notes, instruction manuals, books and links to resources are found in the Document Library.
User avatar
mediatechnology
Posts: 3257
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:34 pm
Location: Oak Cliff, Texas
Contact:

Re: TI Parts Going End of Life

Post by mediatechnology » Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:49 pm

I'm pretty sure the LME49860 in SMT will eventually go EOL as well once they run out of die. Ditto for the TO-99 versions of the LME497XX.
They have a lot of finished goods and just don't want to get stuck with these parts.

The OPA1612 is a very nice SiGe dual op amp.
I convinced Cimarron/Brown Dog to build me some populated OPA1612 DIP adapters and they have now added them to their catalog.

User avatar
mediatechnology
Posts: 3257
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:34 pm
Location: Oak Cliff, Texas
Contact:

Re: TI Parts Going End of Life

Post by mediatechnology » Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:51 am

Looks like TI had a change of heart and moved the LM4562, LME49710 and LME49720 back into production on an 8 inch line.

Image
TI Reinstates the LME4562, LME4971, LME49720.

Source: http://media.digikey.com/pdf/PCNs/Texas ... 04003A.pdf

I checked a few days ago and Mouser have them in stock again.
Lets hope they got the burst noise problem under control.

ricardo
Posts: 262
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:24 am

Re: TI Parts Going End of Life

Post by ricardo » Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:48 pm

mediatechnology wrote:Looks like TI had a change of heart and moved the LM4562, LME49710 and LME49720 back into production on an 8 inch line.
....
Lets hope they got the burst noise problem under control.
I wonder if the original NS made parts had the burst noise.

In da old days, it was very dependent on the exact process & factory ... basically sh*t in the chip.

User avatar
JR.
Posts: 2409
Joined: Sat May 24, 2008 7:21 pm

Re: TI Parts Going End of Life

Post by JR. » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:32 am

In general I would expect modern processes to be quieter with less impurities in the silicon. As they keep shrinking geometry the impurities can cause more damage to smaller features. Of course they can always use cheaper grades of raw silicon.

The proof is in the pudding (bench tests).

It's been so long since I messed with op amps that we've seen high performance op amps come and go, without my ever using them...

JR

User avatar
mediatechnology
Posts: 3257
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:34 pm
Location: Oak Cliff, Texas
Contact:

Re: TI Parts Going End of Life

Post by mediatechnology » Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:11 pm

Gold is sometimes one of the contaminates that causes noisy transistors.
I read an article once where a manufacturer kept seeing contamination after repeated cleaning.
Turned out to be a quartz tube reused from a logic line.
I have to wonder if on older lines, in order to keep them running, if they re-used equipment that once processed gold-doped logic.
That 6" line is the one that was shut down.

TI admits they don't test for burst noise because the test time is too long.

I can only hope that parts made on the newer 8" line are quiet.
Other bipolar TI part numbers (OPA1612) are quiet.

The LM833 also returned as well as the LM386.

vintagedesign
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:21 am

Re: TI Parts Going End of Life

Post by vintagedesign » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:12 am

Looks like the LM3914N-1 has reached it's end of life as well.
The PLCC20 version is more expensive :(
Thomas TK Kristiansson
Sweden
Vintagedesign / TK Audio

User avatar
JR.
Posts: 2409
Joined: Sat May 24, 2008 7:21 pm

Re: TI Parts Going End of Life

Post by JR. » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:40 am

mediatechnology wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:11 pm
Gold is sometimes one of the contaminates that causes noisy transistors.
I read an article once where a manufacturer kept seeing contamination after repeated cleaning.
Turned out to be a quartz tube reused from a logic line.
I have to wonder if on older lines, in order to keep them running, if they re-used equipment that once processed gold-doped logic.
That 6" line is the one that was shut down.

TI admits they don't test for burst noise because the test time is too long.

I can only hope that parts made on the newer 8" line are quiet.
Other bipolar TI part numbers (OPA1612) are quiet.

The LM833 also returned as well as the LM386.
I once gonged a Motorola 3 terminal regulator from being bought by Peavey because of noise. Motorola refused to guarantee or even spac a noise floor... see ya.

JR

User avatar
mediatechnology
Posts: 3257
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:34 pm
Location: Oak Cliff, Texas
Contact:

Re: TI Parts Going End of Life

Post by mediatechnology » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:41 am

I hope someone like JRC, CoolAudio or Xvive pickup the LM3914N.

And it looks like LME49720s on 8" still have a lot-dependent noise problem. It's causing Vicktor lots of problems in his oscillator. He's seeing up to 50% rejects.

User avatar
JR.
Posts: 2409
Joined: Sat May 24, 2008 7:21 pm

Re: TI Parts Going End of Life

Post by JR. » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:01 am

mediatechnology wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:41 am
I hope someone like JRC, CoolAudio or Xvive pickup the LM3914N.

And it looks like LME49720s on 8" still have a lot-dependent noise problem. It's causing Vicktor lots of problems in his oscillator. He's seeing up to 50% rejects.
I expect the 391x to remain because it is used so widely still for DIY generic meters. However manufacturers of SKUs with even modest digital content can get meters almost free.... The ubiquitous 391x will likely be replaced by modern serial input latch (led) drivers for large scale production.

The 391x is a mature design so could probably benefit from a die shrink/redesign to reduce fab cost, just unclear that the investment is justified. I wouldn't be surprise to see the old masks reappear in China (if not there already).

JR

User avatar
mediatechnology
Posts: 3257
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:34 pm
Location: Oak Cliff, Texas
Contact:

Re: TI Parts Going End of Life

Post by mediatechnology » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:17 am

The fact that the LM3914 will remain in SMT seems to suggest that there's volume (or one big customer) outside of DIY.

Post Reply