The Man Behind the (Ribbon) Mic

A resource for technical documentation. Datasheets, application notes, instruction manuals, books and links to resources are found in the Document Library.
mediatechnology

The Man Behind the (Ribbon) Mic

Post by mediatechnology »

PITMAN, N.J. — Clarence Kane possesses a skill set that makes him rather unique in age of “if it’s broke, throw it away” and “nothing’s made in America anymore.”

He repairs ribbon (or, more correctly, velocity) microphones, and has been doing so for more than 30 years. Kane’s customers have included Les Paul, Chet Atkins and Pixar Animation Studios.

While Kane repairs and rebuilds all types of ribbon mics, the overwhelming majority of his business centers around classis RCA issues, even though the last of these was sold more than 30 years ago.
This is a very interesting article. Checkout the original 1930 corrugater:

https://www.radioworld.com/news-and-bus ... ribbon-mic

Bill Wilson

Re: The Man Behind the (Ribbon) Mic

Post by Bill Wilson »

When I had my audio consultant/equipment sales & repair business in the 70's & early 80's, I was given a pair of 77DX ribbon mikes by the chief engineer of one of the studios who was a friend of mine. The basket on one looked as though someone had used it to drive nails with. Both mikes had blown ribbons. I sent them to Mr. Kane who not only totally restored them but
also found buyers for both of them. Hie fee was very reasonable.

Just like the Telefunken branded U47 I sold in early 68; If I had any idea how these mikes would appreciate I would have held on to them. 8-)