vinyl redux

Relax in southern comfort on the east bank of the Mississippi. You're just around the corner from Beale Street and Sun Records. Watch the ducks, throw back a few and tell us what's on your mind.
JR.

Re: vinyl redux

Post by JR. »

Gold wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:11 pm Growing more slowly then when? How do they define sales? Only retail? There was a lot of vinyl in the 90'sbeing produced and paid for but distributed for free as promos. Unless they really know the business they are talking out their ass.

The people buying vinyl now don't care about an exotic preamp that has academic advantages. The audiophile mindset isn't driving sales.
Thanx I was already convinced to not design another preamp.
-------
from the original article above "At the end of 2016, sales of vinyl records outpaced digital music sales for the first time in the U.K., as The Guardian reported."

I already filed that other article in the circular file, since i find their thesis that tape will rescue their vinyl quality issue dubious, perhaps the rest of the article is questionable too... :oops:

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture", do not support mob hatred.
mediatechnology

Post by mediatechnology »

I think the solution to stagnant growth of music sales would be to ban brick-wall limiting.

Vinyl isn't so tolerant of smashing the snot out of everything and that may be why it has growth.
Gold

Post by Gold »

The general public seems to like streaming. The only problem is that only the streaming services and ISP's make any money from it.

Just like the death of vinyl was highly overrated so is its status a savior of the music business. It's neither.

I don't think a physical format will save the music business. People like the convinience of being music like they buy other things. Over the web. There needs to be a more compelling file format that makes artists money.

Even though I'm in the sound quality business I don't thing sound quality has much to do with sales. Not no influence but a small percentage.