Entropy

Relax in southern comfort on the east bank of the Mississippi. You're just around the corner from Beale Street and Sun Records. Watch the ducks, throw back a few and tell us what's on your mind.
billshurv

Re: Entropy

Post by billshurv »

I love the fact that it is dual purpose device for nuts OR shell casings :)
JR.

Post by JR. »

billshurv wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:39 am I love the fact that it is dual purpose device for nuts OR shell casings :)
There are different versions for different sized nuts... The one for policing up brass has smaller gaps between the wires on the wire basket..

I just put a metric nut on the stud to firm up to the handle. We'll see how long it lasts.

JR

PS: I am now drying this weeks load of wash with the dryer set to low temperature (knit) setting. This will surely take longer so I'll check the lint situation and report back.

[edit] a mild disappointment for my theory, but the longer, lower temperature dryer cycle, released a near normal amount of lint compared to previous washer. I guess less water left in clothes dries faster... Less lint still seems like less wear and tear, so apparently dryer can contribute to wear also.

just switched dryer to cotton from permanent press where it has been all century[/edit]
Cancel the "cancel culture", do not support mob hatred.
JR.

Re: Entropy... RTFM

Post by JR. »

My replacement DR trimmer drive belt, and new string/rope for my branch trimmer arrived today, so I knocked a few repairs off my list.

The DR power trimmer drive belt was the easiest... I finally decided to read the (fine) OM to see the belt change procedure and learned that the DR has a belt tensioner accessible from the handle. A couple turns tighter and belt no longer squeals. :oops: I guess I can save the replacement belt for if I live that long. :lol:

===

The pull line for the branch trimmer is thinner than the old line, that fell apart. Swapped out the line and made a few test cuts. The blade is not hanging up like before, not sure how the thinner line could help that, but I'll take the win.

---

Earlier this week I replaced the fuel pressure regulator for my 22 YO mustang.... It seems to have cleared up the gas starved when cold symptom... But I have declared victory before about this so remain cautious. Today I need to replace the 22 year old gas filter with the replacement I bought. I had to buy a special gas line spring clamp tool too. The major drama about this is jacking up my car and crawling underneath (with my bum knee), and then not dumping gas down my arm.

Watching a youtube video I learned a good trick... I can disconnect the inertial fuel cut off switch in the trunk so the electric fuel pump doesn't run, then start the car to consume the gas in the lines. This should reduce the gas pressure and leakage (I hope). No fun crawling around on the concrete floor with my bad knee... but that's life. The sooner I start the sooner I'm done.

JR
JR.

Post by JR. »

two out of three ain't bad... I was able to locate and get hands on my old fuel filter, but surprise surprise, it doesn't use the spring clamp fittings I bought the new tool for after watching more than one youtube video (liars)...

There was one of that quick release style spring clamp in the area on what was probably the return line going to the gas tank. Both fuel lines on the filter used a plastic slide in spring clip that is reportedly really easy to break, and impossible to buy... 22YO plastic clips sound like a problem begging to happen.

I am almost tempted to visit the junk yard up the street and see if they have any plastic clips? Or not.. My car is working much better with new fuel pressure regulator. I am apprehensive about using local ford dealership. They charged me over $100 for a new fan belt when I was stranded 25 miles from home, with my temperature gauge rising.

A fan belt is a 5 minute job, the fuel filter could be like work. At least if they break the plastic bits they can replace the fuel lines with their inventory, but that would not be cheap.

JR
mediatechnology

Post by mediatechnology »

JR. wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:18 am Both Franken driveway lamps still rocking at 5AM... now I can go out drinking all night and still find my driveway. Like that could happen in Hickory MS. :lol:
JR
The QX5252 landscape LED driver is one of the most popular pdf downloads on the site. Always in the top ten. viewtopic.php?f=12&t=654

I think you may be on to something JR. DIY landscape lighting hacks are a "thing."
JR.

Post by JR. »

My very old ones that I hacked with my own discrete transistor switching circuit didn't have the built in features, the current lamps look like that schemo, I think. Almost zero glue components inside besides the inductor.

I tweaked the inductor value for less current to lamp, and stacked two solar cells in series. I also oversized the battery for more capacity than needed (at least for summer nights).

I expected this to fail pretty quickly from over voltage but they just keep working. I noticed that the batteries get almost too hot to handle in bright sunlight, which may affect battery life.

I have some NIMH batteries on order for one final experiment. I wonder if memory effects and high daytime temps trash the nicads. While they only advise 1 year life expectancy.

It seems they could make a premium solar lamp for very little extra BOM cost. Not sure consumers would pay up, and this just feeds the landfills around the world with more disposable SKUs.

I could imagine more features like using the switching circuit to charge the battery in low light, etc.. But these seem like a very cost effective design.

Perhaps a premium version that specifies working all night... :lol:

JR
JR.

Post by JR. »

I've lost track where I was talking about this but I thought I was gaining a handle on the laundry lint generation issue. My last experiment that was supposed to generate even less lint (dryer set for highest temp) actually generated a normal amount of lint...

So I don't know (again). :lol:

JR
billshurv

Post by billshurv »

Mower woes again. Last week when wandering around the garden I found a large penny washer on the lawn. Hmm, that looks like a bit of my mower. Sure enough when I got the mower out one of the front wheels was flapping about. One Red Green fix later and off I go only for an odd fuel starvation issue to hit me.

This winter it gets the full service I've been promising it for 10 years....honest.
JR.

Post by JR. »

billshurv wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:40 am Mower woes again. Last week when wandering around the garden I found a large penny washer on the lawn. Hmm, that looks like a bit of my mower. Sure enough when I got the mower out one of the front wheels was flapping about. One Red Green fix later and off I go only for an odd fuel starvation issue to hit me.

This winter it gets the full service I've been promising it for 10 years....honest.
no need to service it in the winter... :lol:

but next winter I will remove the battery and maybe hit it with the occasional trickle charge. I'm not used to a mower with a battery.
===
I had one front wheel come unattached from my 22" when I started towing it around the yard, I put it back on without a lock washer, so need to make that right before it gets loose again.

JR
billshurv

Post by billshurv »

like the old man and the leaky roof. 'When its raining its too wet to fix it, and when it's dry its as good as anymans house'