Entropy

Relax in southern comfort on the east bank of the Mississippi. You're just around the corner from Beale Street and Sun Records. Watch the ducks, throw back a few and tell us what's on your mind.
Gold

Re: Entropy

Post by Gold »

After not being in the mountains for nine months I discovered I forgot to empty the water filter for the well. It cracked. The local hardware store didn't have the 3M AquaPure filter I was using. The 3M was about $175. I figured I'd give the Culligan they had a shot. They didn't have the best water filter cartridge in stock so I got what they had. It was $35 all together.

Unfortunately the water tasted like crap. It had a chemical taste and didn't look like it removed all the sediment. I ordered the best filter cartridges Culligan made for this model and gave it another shot last week. Still terrible. It removed all the sediment but still had a chemical taste. This filter wasn't supposed to remove odors so I'm not sure why.

I guess I have no choice to buy the expensive 3M filter. With that filter it's just about the best tasting water I've ever had.
JR.

Post by JR. »

Gold wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:44 pm After not being in the mountains for nine months I discovered I forgot to empty the water filter for the well. It cracked. The local hardware store didn't have the 3M AquaPure filter I was using. The 3M was about $175. I figured I'd give the Culligan they had a shot. They didn't have the best water filter cartridge in stock so I got what they had. It was $35 all together.

Unfortunately the water tasted like crap. It had a chemical taste and didn't look like it removed all the sediment. I ordered the best filter cartridges Culligan made for this model and gave it another shot last week. Still terrible. It removed all the sediment but still had a chemical taste. This filter wasn't supposed to remove odors so I'm not sure why.

I guess I have no choice to buy the expensive 3M filter. With that filter it's just about the best tasting water I've ever had.
I have an RO system under my sink, in addition it uses pre RO sediment and charcoal filters. Charcoal reportedly binds to odor causing aromatics. I also have post RO filter UVc lamp to kill any residual microbes.

My water tastes even better after I turn it into beer. Before the RO the town water would kill my beer yeast from all the anti-microbal treatments added to the town water supply (like clorox). When I was a kid my parents would dump some clorox down into the lake house well once every year.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture", do not support mob hatred.
Gold

Post by Gold »

The 3M 0.2 micron filter is supposed to catch bacteria and cysts. We used it for three years without incident. There is a charcoal filter in addition to take care of any odor.
JR.

Post by JR. »

nice... I use sub micron air filters to remove mold spores and other nasties from inside my house...

JR
Gold

Post by Gold »

3M calls the water filter a cartridge but it is a single unit that mounts in what is basically a bracket with in and out connections.

That means it’s not easy to empty it. The filter that cracked lasted three years so I didn’t do too bad. I guess after September I’ll have to empty it as best I can, seal it up and take it home for the winter.
JR.

Post by JR. »

Maybe you could fill it up with vodka, but that is probably close to as much work as removing it to carry home.

JR

PS: Notice how booze is my answer for almost everything. :lol:
Gold

Post by Gold »

We don’t have heat set up to keep the bladder pressure tank from freezing. We have just been buying water. We’ll buy water for October through January. We don’t keep the road plowed after that because it’s expensive and dragging batteries up the hill in deep snow is getting old.

We started using these Coleman propane lanterns. They are really nice. Other propane lights we have run across were not very good. These are made to mount on a small 1lb propane bottle. You can get an adapter hose to use a BBQ propane bottle. That’s what we do.

I’ve made a couple of sconce mounts out of scrap wood that are working well. I think one of these lanterns would throw off enough heat to keep the bladder tank from freezing.

Next time I plan on harvesting a limb or two from a paper birch. The white parts don’t turn white until the tree is mature and the branches are up high. I’m going to make sconces from that. It’s in the Adirondack tradition. Check out
https://www.dartbrookrustic.com/ For some really nice rustic Adirondack style stuff.
mediatechnology

Post by mediatechnology »

Our water in Dallas has become very bleachy-smelling.
Dallas used to have really clean-tasting water.

We drink bottled water and filter city water with a Brita for coffee and cooking.
Probably not the best solution.
Gold

Post by Gold »

When we don’t have the well going we are stingy with water. We use alcohol to clean dishes. My GF grew up in Colorado and had friends in a hippie commune with no running water. She learned a lot of tricks for low water consumption.
JR.

Post by JR. »

Bleach in our town water is all too common... I don't use the tap water for much...

Amusing (or not) a couple months back we got a "do not drink, boil water" notice in snail mail, about a month after the incident. :roll:

JR