Entropy

Relax in southern comfort on the east bank of the Mississippi. You're just around the corner from Beale Street and Sun Records. Watch the ducks, throw back a few and tell us what's on your mind.
emrr

Re: Entropy

Post by emrr »

Unplugged a microwave oven that worked fine, but had developed a low level intermittent crackling noise when NOT in use.....
Best,

Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
JR.

Post by JR. »

Crackling is not good when not running... :o My old cheap microwave sometimes hums when not running, probably an undersized mains transformer saturating. It's been doing that for years, still hasn't learned the words. :lol:

=====

I need a new grass trimmer. My decades old weedeater, leaks gas like a sieve and won't start (perhaps a fouled plug).

I am trying to decide between 2 cycle, 4 cycle, and battery. The battery seems attractive, but more expensive, for a good one. I asked my neighbor what he uses and he handed me his broken battery powered trimmer to fix/look at, be bought a new 2 stroke unit.

I took it completely apart before determining the problem was a bad electrical connection where the top battery and trigger assembly detaches from the bottom motor trimmer assy. I guess it was designed so the top power unit could be used with different bottom power take offs.

It also has a trigger (snap action limit switch) that is stuck on... For chuckles I used it to trim my yard, unplugging the battery to turn it off. It was lighter weight than my old weed-eater a good thing, but wimped out on a few strong MS grade weeds.

A new snap action switch will cost a few dollars. But I literally just got in a shipment of parts today from digikey, so hate to place an order for just one item. :(

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture", do not support mob hatred.
JR.

Post by JR. »

Thanx for the heads up on worx... It looks like they are blowing out their old 20V trimmers. $99 for 12" 20V trimmer, with two batteries and charger... Sounds pretty cheap...

The higher voltage timmers are closer to $200 + charger and spare battery is extra.

The cheapo I am fixing has a 20V 6AH battery.. I am not sure a 40V 2AH battery is any better. Perhaps more short term torque.

Do the chargers adapt for all the different voltage batteries (40V, 48V, 56V)?

JR
Gold

Post by Gold »

I did a lot of tree clearing last time I was at my place in ADK. I got this Japanese hand saw called a Sugowaza by Silky Saw. That thing is amazing. Eight strokes to go through a 6" around cedar or other softwood. Smooth as silk, ha. I'm terrified of chainsaws. I also hate the idea of all that noise. I'm a hand tool kind of guy. I'm buying some stone mason tools. We have a lot of rocks...

I bought a really nice Stihl gas line trimmer. I don't need it. I thought there would be low brush coming up but there isn't. I'd like an auger. I hope I can find someone to trade with.
JR.

Post by JR. »

I have a neighbor, the one with the broken 20V trimmer I am working on, and he holds electric trimmers in very low regard.

these are pretty simple.. connect a mass produced lion battery to an electric motor and presto.

I ran into a few weeds that did not yield to the 20V trimmer. But i really like the lighter weight than gas powered trimmers.

Looking at the top end 56V worx they mention a variable speed trigger... I worry a little about the extra complexity, the low voltage trimmers just use a on/off switch. The variable speed may use a PWM controller.

JR
Gold

Post by Gold »

Since there is no electric service at the ADK place I've had to get battery powered power tools. I've never liked them. Up until now I've never been more than an extension cord away. I also have Fein hand drills which are the best hand drills made. They invented the hand drill in the late 1800's. I'm making a fence system for the cordless circular saw. The commercial ones that are big enough for a 4' x 8' sheet are like $400. I'm rigging something up that uses some metal stock to slide in 80/20 T slot framing. Less than $!00 in parts. It's of course taking some fabrication but not too much.

Next week the sheds are arriving. One will be a sleeping shed and the other will be a bath shed. They are garden sheds I am tricking out. I have everything planned out with military precision but it's all I can think about. I can't concentrate on work for long periods. It will be really sweet for a little shed. The cedar paneling and wood stove arrived today. Insulation and birch ply for interior walls is being delivered to the site. Cedar on one wall and milk paint for the rest.

I'm making a captains bed which incorporates bench seating out of 80/20 aluminum T slot framing. I am also using 80/20 to make a stand for the 17" x 12" x 14" wood stove. It's meant for a boat. I'm also using 80/20 to make a counter. There will be propane burners for cooking. I have a good carbon monoxide meter with a sniffer wand...

I've also dropped a bundle on excavation of the site. This is round two. The excavator has become a friend and is awesome but a lot of work has been done and I haven't seen it. It's nerve wracking.
Gold

Post by Gold »

Roger,
I love the boonies too. Yes, the Adirondacks. We are in Schroon Lake. Pronounced the Dutch way as Skroon. We are surrounded by state land. The wilderness area we border is 10.5 miles east/west by 7.5 miles north/south. There is only one north south foot trail and a couple of short trails near the edge of the wilderness area.

The property is a back lot. It's 14 acres. The entrance way is about 150' wide. It opens up as you go up the hill. The first picture is from the top of the hill. We plan on making an outdoor cooking/hang out area. This photo is from last fall. We have already done a bunch of clearing. It looks a lot different now. The hill is state land and can't be built on. Behind the hill is a nice beaver pond.

Below is the road looking up the hill before excavation. It's wider now and has a gravel coat.

Another view from the top.

A spring

emrr

Post by emrr »

Nice!
Best,

Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
JR.

Post by JR. »

Now there's some real entropy to reverse,,,

"Nice" beaver pond? Beaver damns are often considered nuisances.

Do you have any running water on your property, you could capture for some low head hydro power?

In the winter you could practice cross country skiing, just to get up your driveway. Snowmobile would work better.

In light of western fires, do you have any fire breaks around your property in case they might be needed?

Enjoy, but be safe working in the boonies.

JR
Gold

Post by Gold »

JR. wrote:Now there's some real entropy to reverse,,,

"Nice" beaver pond? Beaver damns are often considered nuisances.
It's on state land in the Wilderness area. No problem. Since it's shallow it will freeze early and be great for ice skating.
Do you have any running water on your property, you could capture for some low head hydro power?
The first place we looked at would have been great for micro hydro assuming we could get Adirondack Park Association approval. They don't play. It's a State Park you can't do anything you want. There are lots of restrictions. The well digger is coming on Thursday. We will use solar or a gas generator until and if we put electric there. It's about 50ft. up the hill from the future cabin. I'll pump water when I need it where I need it for now.
In the winter you could practice cross country skiing, just to get up your driveway. Snowmobile would work better.
We snow shoe. It would be too expensive to keep the road plowed to the top. The road is going to be a killer sled run. In March it will be a challenge with a winters worth of snow. Still have to think on that a bit. I don't really want a snow mobile.
In light of western fires, do you have any fire breaks around your property in case they might be needed?
It's not common practice around there. It's a very dry year. At every Thruway exit there are giant signs saying no open fires. There was a small fire a couple miles away last month but it was extinguished quickly. I am sending in my donation to the Fire Department.