Entropy

Relax in southern comfort on the east bank of the Mississippi. You're just around the corner from Beale Street and Sun Records. Watch the ducks, throw back a few and tell us what's on your mind.
JR.

Re: Entropy

Post by JR. »

Yesterday was a busy day for deliveries to my casa....

First thing my 1000mAh nicads arrived in my PO Box, then UPS picked up the Amazon return *wrong size discharge hose adapter), and to complete the trifecta fedex delivered 40' of gutter shield (covers).

No obvious shenanigans were observed.

JR
[edit- coincidentally all three items were ordered from amazon.. [/edit]

[edit2- I just walked over there to explain to the young lady that flying the US flag upside down like she did this morning, is a universal distress call for assistance. :oops: [/edit]
Cancel the "cancel culture", do not support mob hatred.
billshurv

Post by billshurv »

For anyone who has a package stolen this should make you smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoxhDk-hwuo

His other videos are good, esp the servo assist dartboard.
mediatechnology

Post by mediatechnology »

billshurv wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:32 am For anyone who has a package stolen this should make you smile

I'm inspired by this video.

If I sent a package from myself to myself and setup the Fedex driver for theft then I would have standing to file a criminal complaint.
90+% if the time I'd likely just get what I sent but when it finally does get stolen the GPS tracking and video would make it worth it.
JR.

Post by JR. »

mediatechnology wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:01 am
billshurv wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:32 am For anyone who has a package stolen this should make you smile

I'm inspired by this video.

If I sent a package from myself to myself and setup the Fedex driver for theft then I would have standing to file a criminal complaint.
90+% if the time I'd likely just get what I sent but when it finally does get stolen the GPS tracking and video would make it worth it.
Before you invest too much time and effort in building a case, perhaps talk with your local prosecutor to see what they would do with such a case, even neatly tied up. Of course you can always pursue civil remedies against the individual driver. If this is as widespread as you suggest perhaps a class action, but if these are all subcontractors that would be difficult to corral into one single group.

Perhaps mount a robotic rifle above your door that tracks and follows around "targets" walking in your driveway... :lol: Of course do not shoot anybody, other than with your camera.

JR
mediatechnology

Before you invest too much time and effort in building a case, perhaps talk with your local prosecutor to see what they would do with such a case, even neatly tied up.
That occurred to me as well since the Dallas County DA has "decriminalized" shoplifting and won't prosecute below a certain dollar level. I've heard numbers ranging from $500 to $6000.
JR.

Post by JR. »

Right now the states are competing to do the dumbest sh__.... NY recently released dangerous criminals without bail and they just repeated the same crimes... :oops:

The pendulum seems to have swung a little too far toward leniency.

JR
mediatechnology

JR. wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:17 pm Right now the states are competing to do the dumbest sh__.... NY recently released dangerous criminals without bail and they just repeated the same crimes... :oops:

JR
It's a deliberate engineered collapse.
JR.

Post by JR. »

mediatechnology wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:40 am
JR. wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:17 pm Right now the states are competing to do the dumbest sh__.... NY recently released dangerous criminals without bail and they just repeated the same crimes... :oops:

JR
It's a deliberate engineered collapse.
I don't assume bad intent for things that can be explained away by ignorance and incompetence.

JR
JR.

Post by JR. »

JR. wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:10 am Now almost 2 weeks later my sump pump is still out of service (and crawl space still flooded). Today the second discharge hose adapter fitting arrived and it was the wrong size... I clearly ordered a 1.25" diameter fitting, but they sent me a 1.5" diameter fitting. arghhhh

This is probably $0.20 worth of plastic that I gladly paid $7 for to get my sump pump working again. I pinged the vendor and they replied don't measure it with a tape measure, and try it on the pump... DOH..... I tried it on the pump before I measured it with a machinist scale (metal ruler).

Now for some extra nonsense instead of just discarding this $0.20 worth of plastic, amazon has issued a UPS pick up ticket to pickup this wrong size connector. I expect even with the hugely profitable $7 retail price, even Amazon will not profit from this order, and I still do not have the correct adapter yet.

I figure there is a 50/50 chance I get the wrong part again. :roll:

JR
As I feared (predicted) the wrong size part arrived again.... :roll:

After communication with the vendor I have finally figured out the malfunction. It was me, customer error. I ASSumed NPT threads were specified like every other threaded part in the universe (by diameter of the threaded section). Bzzzt, NPT is based on diameter of the inside hole, i.e. pipe size.

I now realize I needed a 1" NPT not 1.25" NPT adapter. Another correct part on order.... :oops:

JR
terkio

Post by terkio »

Wrong thread diameter.... I would have fallen in that trap.
Pipe threads are tricky.
Not only diameter and pitch matters.
I got aware recently of conical threads.
On 1"1/2 firehoses.