Entropy

Relax in southern comfort on the east bank of the Mississippi. You're just around the corner from Beale Street and Sun Records. Watch the ducks, throw back a few and tell us what's on your mind.
billshurv

Re: Entropy

Post by billshurv »

Not really. It may have had trouble locking in once before, but HDMI had not been used for a few weeks when I discovered it. If all HDMI inputs are gone its most likely that chip. I should try and stick a heat sink on as well as the failure mode is clearly thermal cycling. Touch wood its still holding out.
JR.

Post by JR. »

My (former TV) computer monitor has three HDMI inputs...

So far one HDMI-2 has been problem free... (connected to my squirrel cam system). The other two have exhibited random locking issues from my mac mini. I switched the mini from HDMI-1 to HDMI-3 and the lock issue cleared up for maybe a week or two but returned.

For now I can wait up to 30 seconds for it to lock, but we know how such problems progress, they rarely improve.

I suspect the signals may be different. I just swapped the sources around, and for the moment both are syncing up quickly.

We'll see...

JR

[edit- Interesting or not, I am now getting balky HDMI lock with the formerly problem free HDMI input, while squirrel cam monitor is now working just fine in the balky input... Problem appears to be the HDMI output from the mac.. or some combination of weak output signal with weak input capability. :oops: [/edit]

[edit2] changing refresh rate from 60Hz to 50Hz takes even longer to lock... :lol: Now suspicious of apple, there are web complaints about the Intel HDMI chip they use. [/edit]
Cancel the "cancel culture", do not support mob hatred.
JR.

Post by JR. »

I am slowly getting my computer desk sorted...

I went for two days without WWW last week and since my land lines are through the DSL I couldn't report the outage by phone. I recently bought a smart phone and wireless service but apparently that service is not robust (1 bar with an outdoor antenna). Twice the call dropped while still negotiating with the AI phone menu... I hate when they make the clicky noise pretending a human is typing on a keyboard. They probably add delay too just to seem more realistic. After getting dropped twice I decided suffering through the AI one more time from the beginning was too much like the classic definition of insanity (expecting a different outcome).

Finally I got on a chat with customer service and that worked despite the dodgy cell service. She (it?) Scheduled a service call for the following tuesday (still two days from now :lol: ). I was warned that I would be charged $99 if the problem was my inside wiring, a real possibility. In a classic case of UPOD (under promise over deliver), the service guy showed up that afternoon and confirmed the service was not right at my access point outside my house. He found a short on one leg of my dry pair near the switching office more than a mile away. He left me a contact to let him know if I had problems in the future. I gave him two of my home brews as reward.

The next day I texted asking his advice about buying a new modem/router since I suspect mine was hacked. Some puke sent me an email telling me he did that demanding crypto currency or he would embarrass me. Since I am both cheap and hard to embarrass I ignored him, but wanted to replace my router to be more secure.

The service guy dropped off a brand new (better) modem router the next morning. So I am now all good (all green). I still have the old back up battery (to keep land lines working during power outage). The old battery/ps doesn't fit the new modem and service guy just trashed them. Not sure what I could do with a 12V UPS.

I had (have) 5 different computers networked together that don't really need much access to the WWW. Most have some old software on them that doesn't run on newer computers, or I am too cheap to purchase new software again when I have old software that works. I have one computer at least I will discard right now, two old PCs I still use programs on, and one relatively new PC I rarely turn on.

I am about due to replace my mac mini that I use for all web communication with a newer model... apple is still supporting it but the writing is on the wall.

JR

PS; Not really entropy but I have been struggling with securing hose adapters to outfit my pressure washer for spraying poison onto my pecan trees. First I bought some second story spray nozzles (presumably for cleaning windows), and mixing gadget for sucking liquid to mix with the pressurized water stream, and a new wand that accepts the new nozzles. Then I purchased an adapter kit... and got every connection sorted except for the last one at the small end of the stock hose. After two failed attempts to purchase what looked like the correct adapter I was stalled by frustration. The threads and sizes of these fittings are all over the place with inaccurate descriptions. Finally the solution was staring me right in the face... A year or two ago when I was extending my hose length to clear silt out of my buried drain pipe with a jetter nozzle, I apparently bough another hose and couldn't use it because it had two big ends. That hose is exactly what I needed now so I got my pressure washer sorted without another purchase. I love it when a plan comes together. 8-)
mediatechnology

Post by mediatechnology »

If you have DSL over POTS then you have a "wet" pair. (Electrically wet.)

In strange telco-talk your "wet" pair probably wasn't "dry" (in terms of moisture) which caused a longitudinal imbalance.

You've had a lot of rain recently haven't you?
A wet paper wasp's nest in a terminal reeks havoc.
Or maybe it was hard-shorted.
It doesn't take much leakage current at all to imbalance a line.

Glad you now have DSL again.

The last day or two was the first time Spectrum cable (internet only) hasn't dropped offline for several minutes to hours.
I had to have fiber brought in in mid-October which is now my primary carrier.
So now I have fiber (300 MB/s), cable (300 MB/s when it works) and when I'm deep in the weeds a 4G router.
Those few weeks Spectrum was dodgy cost me about $80 in 4G data.

Around here AT&T had stopped checking their copper cables for air pressure loss.
Things may have gotten so bad that they recently sent an air pressure crew to some large trunks a few blocks over.
I hadn't seen those guys in about 3-4 years.
I suspect that they aren't maintaining your copper outside plant either.

So a question for our readers:

Why are telephone battery feeds -48V relative to earth?
Why do cars no longer have a positive ground chassis?
JR.

Post by JR. »

mediatechnology wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:22 am If you have DSL over POTS then you have a "wet" pair. (Electrically wet.)
According to ATT tech not POTS but dry pair... I told him I was measuring 35V off hook, and he said it should be 0V.
In strange telco-talk your "wet" pair probably wasn't "dry" (in terms of moisture) which caused a longitudinal imbalance.
he said he found a short to ground on one leg.
You've had a lot of rain recently haven't you?
1" yesterday, but my pecans are puny/stunted from late summer drought.
A wet paper wasp's nest in a terminal reeks havoc.
Or maybe it was hard-shorted.
ding ding ding...
It doesn't take much leakage current at all to imbalance a line.
a couple years ago I had an intermittent imbalance when a squirrel chewed through the insulation up on a pole near my house.
Glad you now have DSL again.
me too... I have become very dependent on web access. Hard to remember how we managed before the WWW.
The last day or two was the first time Spectrum cable (internet only) hasn't dropped offline for several minutes to hours.
I had to have fiber brought in in mid-October which is now my primary carrier.
So now I have fiber (300 MB/s), cable (300 MB/s when it works) and when I'm deep in the weeds a 4G router.
Those few weeks Spectrum was dodgy cost me about $80 in 4G data.

Around here AT&T had stopped checking their copper cables for air pressure loss.
Things may have gotten so bad that they recently sent an air pressure crew to some large trunks a few blocks over.
I hadn't seen those guys in about 3-4 years.
I suspect that they aren't maintaining your copper outside plant either.
probably only as needed... I cleared kudzu that was covering my pole/termination a month before the tree service came through to clean the lines.

My at&t cell phone service comes and goes... I need to find a better carrier or move to a hilltop closer to the interstate,
So a question for our readers:

Why are telephone battery feeds -48V relative to earth?
perhaps carry over from old vacuum tube conventions.
Why do cars no longer have a positive ground chassis?
No sure exactly when they did? Popular auto history says old 6V cars were positive ground and 12V cars were negative ground so that happened mid 50s or so. Also lots of imported cars were positive ground.

I converted my 54 ford from 6V to 12V for hotter spark and better cold cranking. I don't recall any polarity issues, while my stock 6V radio was powered from a DIY 6V tap using a sheetmetal screw into the top of the 12v battery. I guess all the light bulbs don't care, while I had to swap out head lights and tail light bulbs with 12v. My 6v horn was really loud on 12v. :lol:

I recall it was always important to know when using jumper cables, because bad things can happen from reverse voltage (I think a common victim from that was the alternator diodes, while 50s cars had generators). Most of the cars I worked on since the 50s were positive voltage wrt to grounded frame that was often the negative supply return to the battery etc... Starter motor only had one positive wire. Return current flowed through motor block to get back to the battery. (I think).

Positive jumper cable to Battery + first then negative jumper cable would clamp to bumper, back when cars had metal bumpers. :lol: This would avoid sparks near the battery that could ignite leaking hydrogen gas. I guess a positive ground car would spark on the bumper connection but not kill anything as long as you don't leave it connected. The violent sparks should be enough to discourage leaving it connected.

JR
mediatechnology

So your analog phone and DSL are on different pairs?
Or does your DSL modem have an analog POTS port?

FWIW Telco battery feeds are -48V (US) relative to earth ground to reduce electrolytic corrosion.
I've always guessed that's why cars became negative ground.

Interesting telco terms:

Longitudinal = Common Mode
Transversal = Differential
JR.

Post by JR. »

mediatechnology wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:55 pm So your analog phone and DSL are on different pairs?
no POTS just DSL on one dry pair
Or does your DSL modem have an analog POTS port?
yes this...

I'm not sure how long it has been like this but likely a while...

I vaguely recall pots service at same time as DSL, but several years ago when they replaced my service drop they added the back up battery so I would have phone service from my modem during a power outage. Now I guess so few people use POTS they don't bother with the back up battery.
FWIW Telco battery feeds are -48V (US) relative to earth ground to reduce electrolytic corrosion.
so this was a test...? I guess I failed. :lol:

JR

I've always guessed that's why cars became negative ground.

Interesting telco terms:

Longitudinal = Common Mode
Transversal = Differential
mediatechnology

OK I remember you talking about your analog phone so I thought you may still have had a loop-start line.
If you still had DSL over analog you could initiate a remote loop test by the CO's SLIC.
Those can usually spot the fault within a few feet and automatically generate a repair order.

With pure DSL it would be a dry pair.
Your analog phones are now VOIP over DSL.
So few people have or use copper now.
Did they port your same number to it?

Since you have no CO battery feed I think they have to provide you battery backup with a 4-6? hour run time for E911.
With fiber they provide the first battery but the customer is responsible for replacement.

How far are you from your CO?
What they normally do here for analog and DSL is a fiber link to a remote terminal that becomes a mini CO.
They're usually a beige box on a concrete pad.
Where I lived before I was >20,000 feet from the CO and then a few hundred from the remote terminal.
I was right at the edge where they could offer DSL.
DSL is difficult to get in most places now and BRI ISDN nearly impossible.
ISDN is still preferred by broadcasters.

Currently our POTS loop start analog phones cordless connect to a 4G data/voice modem.
Voice is virtually free.

WRT to telco being -48V: Does the same reasoning apply to cars?
I really don't know but it seems like it should.
JR.

Post by JR. »

mediatechnology wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:59 pm OK I remember you talking about your analog phone so I thought you may still have had a loop-start line.
If you still had DSL over analog you could initiate a remote loop test by the CO's SLIC.
Those can usually spot the fault within a few feet and automatically generate a repair order.
In fact my "squirrel" problem several years ago was too close to my house for them to detect from the switch office with their measurement gear (did I mention I hate squirrels?). They kept sending me to a tech in bangalore to unplug and reset my DSL modem. I finally had to lie to them and tell them my phone didn't work (the POTS phone I called them with) to get a lines tech out to my house. The lines guy measured back in the other direction away from my house and found the problem 100 yards away or something like that.
With pure DSL it would be a dry pair.
so I hear
Your analog phones are now VOIP over DSL.
probably, comes from modem
So few people have or use copper now.
perhaps a few still do in nowhere Hickory, but i am optimistic, I'm near down town Hickory... :lol:
Did they port your same number to it?
I ASSume it's the same number, why would it change because of a lines problem?
Since you have no CO battery feed I think they have to provide you battery backup with a 4-6? hour run time for E911.
Sorry I do not recognize the jargon or care to look it up. I no longer have battery back-up.
With fiber they provide the first battery but the customer is responsible for replacement.
I have a used one if you want (Belkin or something like that, pretty heavy unit).
How far are you from your CO?
still do not know what that is,, some kind of office?

I think I am only a mile or more from the switch?? Is that what you are mean by CO?
What they normally do here for analog and DSL is a fiber link to a remote terminal that becomes a mini CO.
They're usually a beige box on a concrete pad.
Where I lived before I was >20,000 feet from the CO and then a few hundred from the remote terminal.
I was right at the edge where they could offer DSL.
DSL is difficult to get in most places now and BRI ISDN nearly impossible.
ISDN is still preferred by broadcasters.

Currently our POTS loop start analog phones cordless connect to a 4G data/voice modem.
Voice is virtually free.
4G means wireless?
WRT to telco being -48V: Does the same reasoning apply to cars?
I really don't know but it seems like it should.
Very old cars were reportedly positive ground. The EE community was smaller back then, so maybe telco dna in engineering pool.

My dad worked at WE way back when but I am pretty sure he didn't deal with telephone equipment. Bell was already a pretty big deal back then..

JR
billshurv

Post by billshurv »

Reminds me, I must dig out that BT training video and watch again which shows what happens when you drop a spanner onto a std -48V exchange back up rack (other than needing a new spanner).

We are still hicksville and fibre is apparantly still 12 months away after 3 years of being so. We do have an empty tube running down the road, just no fibre or infrastructure. The company behind it seem very good at slurping govt grants and not quite delivering.