Entropy

Relax in southern comfort on the east bank of the Mississippi. You're just around the corner from Beale Street and Sun Records. Watch the ducks, throw back a few and tell us what's on your mind.
mediatechnology

Re: Entropy

Post by mediatechnology »

Just to pile on here with a list of failures in the last 2-3 weeks:

1) Coffee-maker. Leak in tank.
2) Toaster oven: Burnt out element.
emrr

Post by emrr »

Replaced one of two HVAC systems on the studio building. 2nd one immediately needed service, and it's not long from being replaced too.
Best,

Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
mediatechnology

emrr wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 8:17 am Replaced one of two HVAC systems on the studio building. 2nd one immediately needed service, and it's not long from being replaced too.
Ouch.
What is the current flavor of Freon used in new installs?
Mine is R-22 IIRC.
JR.

Post by JR. »

mediatechnology wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 9:33 am
emrr wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 8:17 am Replaced one of two HVAC systems on the studio building. 2nd one immediately needed service, and it's not long from being replaced too.
Ouch.
Mine is R-22 IIRC.
R410A is used inside my new 2 ton mitubishi split ductless.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture", do not support mob hatred.
emrr

Post by emrr »

mediatechnology wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 9:33 am
Ouch.
Mine is R-22 IIRC.
I needed R-22.
Best,

Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
mediatechnology

We may start having to use recycled R-22.
JR.

Post by JR. »

Speaking of air conditioning my new puppy is a bunch more efficient than my old window/in wall heat pump.

My electric bill compared to one year ago is using 11%-15% less power than a year ago, but now air is running 24x7 instead of just several hours a day...

At this rate it will pay for itself in about 15 years :oops: :oops:

I need to see the power comparisons for winter months... But no complaints... 8-)

JR
JR.

Post by JR. »

We are approaching end game for those brim who channeled their inner salmon and swam up my buried drain pipe, then further upstream to the culvert pipe where water has been coming into high end of my ditches. Now after a week or so of dry, 90'+ weather the ditch is drying up... yesterday their pool of navigable water was less than 2' long and maybe 2" deep, well below the level of the culvert pipe bottom lip, so no escape further upstream, or back down. :roll:

I think I figured out where they came from, two of my neighbors down stream from me have decent sized ponds in their back yards. After heavy rains these ponds over flow into the same rain ditch system. Apparently some small fry from those ponds take the exit pipe either on purpose or accidentally. For several months the ditch system has been flowing with near constant rain water run-off (until now).

JR
[edit- I just checked and brim are still alive in water... that part of the ditch is somewhat shaded, and loose grass floating on top of the water reducing evaporation. They are still trapped there, but not dead yet. [/edit]
billshurv

Post by billshurv »

yesterday I needed the wheelbarrow in order to move some compost around so time to fix and goop the tyre. Joyously it had perished around the valve so some advanced patch origami +goop and lets see how long it will hold this time. Time to order a spare inner tube...
JR.

Post by JR. »

It is a minor adjustment for me to get used to my wheelbarrow tire not being flat.. since i flat-fixed it over a week ago. 8-)
===
The brim travelers are officially gone... I don't see them anymore, and am not searching very hard. For the first time in recent memory, probably since last summer, my back rain ditch has stopped flowing water and dried out. Now I can finally tweak my silt traps. I think they worked pretty well... Two plastic buckets, strategically placed collected a bunch of silt before the buried drain pipe.

Now that the ditch is dry I can dig more without worry about stirring up more silt to clog my buried drain pipe.. I'd like to set the silt buckets in a little deeper, I may place one more. There is nothing I can do about silt during heavy water flow, but the faster it flows the less silt precipitates out. The strategy that seems to help is I bury a short length of drain pipe into the bottom of the rain ditch to direct all the low flow water into a buried plastic bucket that causes the water flow to reverse direction before finding its way up and out of the bucket, leaving a bunch of silt behind. Now I can pull up the silt buckets and flush them out. The short sections of drain pipe are probably also full of silt after only a few months in place.

The front rain ditch stopped flowing but still has some standing water by the front culvert pipe with brim in it. I don't expect it to dry up quickly. Looking at the weather forecast I don't see any rain forecast until maybe a week from now.

It has been so dry that my pepper plants that I grew from seeds started dropping leaves, even though I was watering them a couple times a day. Since I have the several different types of pepper plants in flower pots, I moved several of them into a large plastic tray so I can sit them in 1/2" of water that they can wick up from below. I see two tiny jalapeño peppers growing already. My other pepper plants are less mature.

---

My several fruit trees that I planted a couple years ago are still too young to bear fruit. My peach tree pushed out one tiny peach this year then dropped it as too much too early, my Jonathan apple tree grew a cute little apple about 1/2" diameter before it dropped off. I am optimistic that by next season both may be large enough to support fruit.

The fig tree (that started maybe 3' tall) delivered fruit the first season, this year looks like even more figs coming. I like how good it smells just being near that tree. I need to keep an eye on it and pick the figs borderline early, to beat the birds to them. The figs could be even sweeter if left on the tree another day or two, I can't afford to tempt the birds. I should have planted a fig tree decades ago. 8-)

JR