Texas Winter

Relax in southern comfort on the east bank of the Mississippi. You're just around the corner from Beale Street and Sun Records. Watch the ducks, throw back a few and tell us what's on your mind.
mediatechnology

Texas Winter

Post by mediatechnology »

JR.

Re: Texas Winter

Post by JR. »

Yup... we got some freezing rain on thursday and it was my day to go to the gym and play basketball so I channeled my inner Yankee and ignored it... My windshield froze up immediately so I had to wait until my heater came up to temperature to see again. I don't even own an ice scraper since moving south back in the mid '80s.

The barber shop and oil change place I tried to use, were both closed because of the weather (wimps) but at least the gym and bank was open.

Later that night while driving home all the bridges and overpasses on the interstate were frozen solid, but as long as you didn't do anything stupid while on the ice, you will come out the other end in the same lane pointed in the same direction. 8-)

I saw multiple wreckers carrying off cars that weren't able to navigate, even those short, straight, ice patches, and at least one car in the middle of the median pointed the wrong way.

I almost rear ended one guy who was driving way too slow over one bridge... I wasn't going to brake or try to change lanes on the ice.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture", do not support mob hatred.
mediatechnology

Fortunately it got up to almost 60 the day after I posted this. I tried to channel my inner yankee but there just wasn't one to channel.
JR.

Post by JR. »

How's that winter thing doing now?

JR
mediatechnology

It finally melted a few days ago. ;)

Imagine my surprise from seeing this post replied to. Thought it might have been one of our Australian members.
JR.

Post by JR. »

Are you in drought? It appears the jet stream has shifted a little north this year due to pacific cooling so we are getting less rain than normal, but not drought where I am... I am cutting the grass less often to help it survive the heat. Running right around 100'

JR
mediatechnology

We've almost caught-up on rainfall for the year but counties to the south and the drought remains unbroken. I saw a lake level report and the lowest around here IIRC was -3 ft. Lake Whitney/The Brazos River to the southwest ~60 miles was way down IIRC -14ft. I live on two creeks, one in Desoto the other Oak Cliff/Dallas and both have good flow.

I hope the nuke plant in Glen Rose has plenty of water...
JR.

Post by JR. »

Yup, France is hurting due to high temps and low water for their nuke plants. The upside is you catch already cooked fish in the rivers... :lol:

I just bought a hot air SMT work station and this is the wrong weather for hot air soldering... :(

JR
mediatechnology

I think winter may have ended:

JR.

Post by JR. »

You got us beat by a few degrees day and night... I think we hit 100 one or two days, but most are in mid-high 90s. Wednesday I ran 5 miles mid day and that gets a little warm, on the paved road surface, probably hotter than reported temps. Still not as hot as last summer yet, but this is only June.. we'll get hotter.

JR