What are you paying for power?

Relax in southern comfort on the east bank of the Mississippi. You're just around the corner from Beale Street and Sun Records. Watch the ducks, throw back a few and tell us what's on your mind.
mediatechnology

What are you paying for power?

Post by mediatechnology »

I'm using Cirro in Texas and just renewed my "contract" with them.

The bill previous to the last was ~14.5 cents/kWh*. Under the new contract - in August mind you - it's ~10.25 cents*. I wasted no time in paying that bill before they changed their minds.

*(Calculated by dividing the total due by the number of kWh. Thus, taxes and delivery charges are included.)
mediatechnology

Re: What are you paying for power?

Post by mediatechnology »

Texas used to have some of the cheapest power rates in the country. We're on our own grid with very limited ties outside the state.

Prior to deregulation it got pretty bad. Now that producers are tying resale rates to natural gas prices rates can actually fluctuate downward. Before as nat gas rose so did prices but they never seemed to come down. TXU was one of the worst offenders. It's taken awhile for deregulation to have a downward pricing effect but something seems to be working in our favor. We've broken useage records this year with peaks in excess of 66,000 MW and <<6% spinning reserve. Yet, price is dropping.