Oscilloscope mods?

Relax in southern comfort on the east bank of the Mississippi. You're just around the corner from Beale Street and Sun Records. Watch the ducks, throw back a few and tell us what's on your mind.
mediatechnology

Re: Oscilloscope mods?

Post by mediatechnology »

Roger -

On the old Leader connectors are those SO-239's like the LMV meters or are they the "Amphenol" mic connector with the solder button for the center pin?

In any case, you should be able to replace them with BNCs. I was thinking that if it were an SO-239 you could just use a F-BNC to PL-259 adapter.

To use modern probes with it you might want to check and see if the input capacitance of the 'scope will work within the adjustment range of a X10 probe. Being an old scope it may have a fairly high input capacitance that would limit you to using a X1 probe. That of course doesn't have much to do with the connector but it might limit your choice of probes.

I like these: http://www.probemaster.com/

Wayne
mediatechnology

BTW speaking of osilliscope mods I was just thinking the other day how useful it would be to have vertical outputs at maybe a 1V/div scale factor. I could use that to drive the USB scope I have since the O'scope has a better front end than the USB one. One thing I could use for the USB is a BW limit.
mediatechnology

I need to find a good point to get vertical out.

I have a Tenma RLC meter and Quad output PSU. Both work very well and provide great value.

I was thinking it was one of those ancient mic connectors. I've never seen a 'scope that used one but a lot of Bogen.
JR.

Post by JR. »

You can use the old scope to fix the new one... :D

I need to buy a new soldering set up.. I'm still using a weller rig I bought back in the '70s. Fun messing with SMT parts about the size of the tip...
So is that TenMa stuff the fachizzle?

I bought a modern small tecktronix scope several years ago and I really like it. My old Heathkit scope still fires up, but just barely...

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture", do not support mob hatred.