home improvement turns into science fair projects?

Relax in southern comfort on the east bank of the Mississippi. You're just around the corner from Beale Street and Sun Records. Watch the ducks, throw back a few and tell us what's on your mind.
mediatechnology

Re: home improvement turns into science fair projects?

Post by mediatechnology »

Almost every time I go to Storm Equipment to buy mower parts I am amused at the tens of thousands of dollars of high-end mowing machinery sitting in knee-high grass. It's almost worth a drive over there after a rain to snag a pic of the irony.
billshurv

Post by billshurv »

JR. wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:52 pm
It is a caricature but there is often truth in comedy...
When I first visited my fiend in Texas and saw the neighbour hanging out with his friends outside the garage (clearly they were too oily for his wife to allow in the house) I noted one of the friends turned up with a pickup with a sofa in the back to they could sit on that and drink beer. That's when I realised I like America :).
If i could get the goats to just eat my rain ditch weeds... :lol:

Of course then I would get pinged for animal cruelty.
JR
Nah goats like weeds!
JR.

Post by JR. »

My "whisper" blower is finally whispering. It is quiet enough that I left it on overnight. I couldn't hear it from 10' away in my bed, while I could hear the air filter and dehumidifiers running in my main room. This morning the temperature in my bedroom was exactly the same as temp in my main room (77'), so even the low/quiet air flow is effective to equalize temperature at night. Over night I run a dehumidifier in my main room but the air conditioning easily controls that extra heat input.

This morning I turned off the main room dehumidifier and turned on the bedroom dehumidifier... after a couple hours the bedroom temp has climbed to 79', and main room humidity is climbing, but still in OK range. I expect the bed room could get a few degrees warmer but still pretty comfortable.

===

I am not enthusiastic about getting a goat, but a zip line/cable run to keep the goat focussed in/on the rain ditches could work... :lol:

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture", do not support mob hatred.
mediatechnology

For the goats to "concentrate" on the ditch's weeds it seems like you either have the choice to pen them (impractical) or tether them.
Tethering them might raise the ire of your local animal justice warriors.
Pen them and you have a petting zoo. :lol:

My neighbor's goats were able to thoroughly "manage" errant privet out of existence in only two short years.
As soon as anything green appeared on that privet it was gone.

@Bill - I like the idea of the sofa in the bed of the truck particularly for watching fireworks.
Would be a big hit at outdoor family reunions too.
JR.

Post by JR. »

I've seen goats tethered to hillsides that are difficult to mow, but remain unenthusiastic...

JR
billshurv

Post by billshurv »

Admit it JR, you just like solutions that require internal combustion engines :)

I do miss the kids Guinea pigs as they ate their way through the lawn over the summers. But they are not keen on tough weeds.

@Wayne: I considered it very civilised. And every household should have at least one pickup. I still want one and one day will have one. Oddly the mid 50s chevvy pickups are very popular over here. I suspect they are a dog to drive.
JR.

Post by JR. »

billshurv wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:02 am Admit it JR, you just like solutions that require internal combustion engines :)
I have a nice battery powered string trimmer, but have to admit my gasoline powered "done right" (even the name sounds red neck) cuts better.
I do miss the kids Guinea pigs as they ate their way through the lawn over the summers. But they are not keen on tough weeds.
I like the concept of using goats to eat the weeds, I just reject having another living thing to be responsible for. I don't even have a dog.
@Wayne: I considered it very civilised. And every household should have at least one pickup. I still want one and one day will have one. Oddly the mid 50s chevvy pickups are very popular over here. I suspect they are a dog to drive.
I joked that I was the last man in MS to buy a zero turn mower, well I have one, so now I am the last man in MS without a pick-up truck. :lol: My neighbor has about 3 of them,,, hard to keep accurate count... he also has more than a half dozen cats (guess)...

My car is 22 YO, so I have been thinking about a replacement lately. I find it hard to accept that new pickup trucks can cost more than I paid for my house (a few decades ago).

JR
mediatechnology

I bought a pickup in 2009 which everyone thought was completely out of character for me but I was tired of having to borrow a van or truck on the somewhat rare occasions I needed to move a 4x8 sheet of plywood or anything big.

Right after that I found that I had a house that needed to be remodeled and used it to move materials almost daily.
Then I used it to move into that house.

Looking back I hope to never be without a pickup in the family even if its my toy 4 cylinder Toyota Tacoma.
Just can't imagine being in Texas and not having a truck.
Gold

Post by Gold »

I drive a minivan for much the same reason. It's a 2008 but its just coming up on 100K miles now. It's a Honda so it should make 200K without breaking a sweat. Cosmetically it's pretty rough but mechanically it's good. I've kept up with the maintenance. I end up having to move audio equipment on a regular basis. If I had to move dirty and stinky stuff I'd have a pickup. My original requirement for a vehicle was 'must be able to fit a lathe'. I've moved quite a few along with tape machines with it.
JR.

Post by JR. »

Gold wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:47 pm I drive a minivan for much the same reason. It's a 2008 but its just coming up on 100K miles now. It's a Honda so it should make 200K without breaking a sweat. Cosmetically it's pretty rough but mechanically it's good. I've kept up with the maintenance. I end up having to move audio equipment on a regular basis. If I had to move dirty and stinky stuff I'd have a pickup. My original requirement for a vehicle was 'must be able to fit a lathe'. I've moved quite a few along with tape machines with it.
My older brother had a metal lathe and a milling machine (bridgeport) in his basement. I recall one move last century when his new employer agreed to pay the moving expenses. :lol: I don't remember how many thousands of pounds that was, just for his shop.

JR