home improvement turns into science fair projects?

Relax in southern comfort on the east bank of the Mississippi. You're just around the corner from Beale Street and Sun Records. Watch the ducks, throw back a few and tell us what's on your mind.
Gold

Re: home improvement turns into science fair projects?

Post by Gold » Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:17 pm

I meant a Neumann lathe. It’s no more than a couple of hundred pounds. I don’t think I’d even attempt to put a Scully in there. Too heavy. Studer A80 2 tracks are fine. 24 tracks no way.

The minivan also doubles as a closet. I live in a 4th floor walk up and the studio is packed. I might as well get something for the $275 a month I pay for parking.

JR.

Post by JR. » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:01 pm

I thought I posted this already, but here goes again...

-I tried another value C for speed control... 44 in series with 22 so approx 15uF.. still to fast but now I know.
===
My franken-lamps now have same Ls so same brightness but one died by 5am while both were rocking at 3 am. Today I swapped the batteries to eliminate the battery as the variable causing the difference.

JR

[update] I swapped the batteries, but forgot which lamp was which, so I just swapped them again, and wrote down on a piece of paper which one runs all night.

I noticed the other day while swapping batteries in direct sunlight how hot they were. High temps cannot be good for nicad life.

[/update]
Visit https://circularscience.com to hear what properly "cleared" drums sound like.

JR.

Post by JR. » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:44 am

JR. wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:01 pm
I thought I posted this already, but here goes again...

-I tried another value C for speed control... 44 in series with 22 so approx 15uF.. still to fast but now I know.
===
My franken-lamps now have same Ls so same brightness but one died by 5am while both were rocking at 3 am. Today I swapped the batteries to eliminate the battery as the variable causing the difference.

JR

[update] I swapped the batteries, but forgot which lamp was which, so I just swapped them again, and wrote down on a piece of paper which one runs all night.

I noticed the other day while swapping batteries in direct sunlight how hot they were. High temps cannot be good for nicad life.

[/update]
It took longer than it should have but I completed the battery swap experiment and this time remembered (wrote down) which was which...

The output time issue moved with the battery between lamps. This performance is still not too shabby with the bad lamp staying lit until past 3AM. That is later than I stay lit these days. :lol: If the good battery rocks all night, that raises the issue of "memory" where partial discharge of nicad over time can limit output. Hopefully the occasional cloudy day will discharge it deeper.

I guess I can stick a fork in this design tweak... (doubling the solar panel area, and reducing the lamp output increases performance). The next test will be shorter days and colder nights.

JR
Visit https://circularscience.com to hear what properly "cleared" drums sound like.

JR.

Post by JR. » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:34 am

This is day two after swapping in new batteries to both franken solar lamps.

This morning at 5:45AM both were burning brightly.

Next test will be shorter days and longer nights.

JR