End of "The Telephone Flea Market"

Relax in southern comfort on the east bank of the Mississippi. You're just around the corner from Beale Street and Sun Records. Watch the ducks, throw back a few and tell us what's on your mind.
mediatechnology

End of "The Telephone Flea Market"

Post by mediatechnology »

DOVER — After 45 years on the air, WOKQ and WPKQ have pulled the plug on “The Telephone Flea Market.”

The radio flea market was a tradition for many New Hampshire listeners who would tune in Sunday mornings to hear about the items callers were selling around the state and other parts of New England. “It had already been on the air nearly 20 years when I got to WOKQ in 1996,” former operations manager and morning show host Mark Ericson said Tuesday. “I can’t say that I was a fan of the show, but the ratings said otherwise. It was consistently one of the most listened-to shows on the station. I filled in on the show multiple times over the years and from start to finish it was 10 phone lines ringing for five hours.”

“As we know, the digital world has changed how people go to market to sell their ‘stuff,’” the station said in its Facebook post.

https://www.unionleader.com/news/human_ ... 9d8ec4.htm
With BackPage and Craiglist personals shutting down they may be leaving money on the table. :lol:

The numbers for time and temperature are disappearing too.
Video killed the radio star.
YouTube killed MTV.
Craigslist killed "The Telephone Flea Market."
billshurv

Re: End of "The Telephone Flea Market"

Post by billshurv »

Do they still do first friday in downtown Dallas? Went there once and was amazed (late 90s)
mediatechnology

First Saturday lost their lease under the Woodall Rogers Freeway after moving from the North Ross location I remember as a kid. The website and Facebook page says the last one was in 2018.

My brothers took me there in the late 1960s and we would go to the First Saturday Sale as well as Crabtree Electronics and Wholesale Electronics that were on North Ross. That area was a hub of electronics back in the day and Heathkit also located their Dallas store on North Ross Avenue.

People think of Heathkit as having been a mail-order company (and they mostly were) but most of my Heathkits were bought retail. At one time they had a store in Dallas and Garland operating simultaneously.

Back in the aerospace, space and oil booms of the 1960s there was a ton of surplus stuff available to support First Saturday and a bunch of surplus stores including my brother's.

I remember seeing a lot of vintage tube Hi-Fi equipment from Fisher and Sherwood being sold at boat-anchor prices in the 1970s at First Saturday. Unfortunately, at the time, I though they were boat-anchors and didn't buy them.
billshurv

Post by billshurv »

Shows how drunk I used to get when I visited Dallas for a weekend! I was convinced it started Friday night.

<google> Ah it did, but was still called 'first saturday'. that explains it :)
mediatechnology

I never knew it started on Friday night. Being in/near Dallas' West End on a Friday night in a parking lot may explain why the land owner didn't want to renew the lease.