How Can We Piss Off Our Customers Today? A P&G Case Study

Relax in southern comfort on the east bank of the Mississippi. You're just around the corner from Beale Street and Sun Records. Watch the ducks, throw back a few and tell us what's on your mind.
mediatechnology

Re: How Can We Piss Off Our Customers Today? A P&G Case Study

Post by mediatechnology »

Below the fold:
Gillette’s CEO and president, Gary Coombe, says that angering some consumers with its #metoo campaign was a “price worth paying” if it meant the brand could increase its relevance among younger consumers and turn around its falling market share...

Gillette made the decision to launch the campaign in a bid to target the millennial market...

But Coombe admitted Gillette's strategy hadn't helped. He explained: "The worst thing during through that period was, we also lost connection with the millennial generation. Gillette quickly became the brand of the millennial generation's dads."
The ad accelerated the decline in the very market it was targeted to improve.
JR.

Post by JR. »

Perhaps it was like trying to bail water out of the sinking titanic with a tea cup... Their old school shaving business was going down for the count. :lol:

IIRC the latest stock news for P&G was top line growth but missing bottom line... of course taking a huge write down for the dying shaver business could explain that profit weakness.

I am not an expert about advertising appeals, especially for young people. I never understood the Colin Kaepernick appeal but Nike claims he has sold a lot of shoes for them and they are still sticking with him, so I ASSume they know what is working, or not.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture", do not support mob hatred.
mediatechnology

I DIY'd my own.

Forever Stamp DIY Flag Shoes.

My latest P&G replacement was Oral B toothbrushes.
Went back to Reach brand and they are far better.

Also just bought some Palmolive liquid dish detergent to replace Dawn.

So far every P&G product I've replaced has been better and in all but about one case less expensive.
P&G products do not represent a good value and I am eternally indebted to them for pissing me off with their bullshit social justice engineering.
This ad was a huge favor to the Americans who stopped buying P&G.
We all learned how much better off we are without them.
mediatechnology

Gillette: Shifting the spotlight from social issues to local heroes

Shaving company Gillette says it is “shifting the spotlight from social issues to local heroes,” after the company’s brief foray into the SJW-style demonization of masculinity drew a massive backlash from customers.
https://www.breitbart.com/tech/2019/08/ ... -disaster/
https://www.news.com.au/finance/busines ... dcf7c30e5e

Sorry Gillette but you burned that bridge forever. Ain't never going to happen.