Entropy

Relax in southern comfort on the east bank of the Mississippi. You're just around the corner from Beale Street and Sun Records. Watch the ducks, throw back a few and tell us what's on your mind.
mediatechnology

Re: Entropy

Post by mediatechnology »

Did the old one have a glass window?

My dual oven has double-pane windows. I think the inner is quartz.
I recall lower-end newer ovens are windowless to improve efficiency.
JR.

Post by JR. »

mediatechnology wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:45 am Did the old one have a glass window?
Yup, the old oven door is as heavy as the new one.... I removed both doors for easier lifting. I had been talking with a local electrician since late last year about doing some wiring, and having a strong back helper handy to do some heavy lifting.

The electrician hasn't returned my calls for a couple weeks, so I decided to do it myself. The oven would be an easy two man lift... but it turns out lifting it myself wasn't the hardest part... The hole in the wall is not wide enough for me to get my arm in there to run the oven power lead down through the hole to wire it up. :roll: But being a clever monkey, I figured out how to tape a smaller feeder lead to snake the oven pigtail down through the hole. :D

Now I am waiting for the electrician to eventually return my multiple calls... so I can say, "sorry charlie". :o
My dual oven has double-pane windows. I think the inner is quartz.
yup at least double pane or more, and shatterproof, and very robust. Oven doors take a beating.
I recall lower-end newer ovens are windowless to improve efficiency.
I didn't seriously consider the cheap chinese ovens (for less than half what I paid), while I didn't go for a premium extra features model either. I didn't look at the cheap ovens very closely but noticed that they weighed a bunch less, so smaller, or no front window would reduce the weight (and cost) a bunch. Thermal insulation is not very heavy, a lot lighter than a window.

I just ate some pizza leftover from what I made last night.... I really like having a fully functional oven. 8-) I didn't realize how challenged my old oven was. I'm sure a wife would have told me. :roll:

-------
My replacement US flag arrived, so I can swap out my old one with the bottom stripe torn off, by the wind. I bought a smaller size flag this time to reduce the wind damage (I hope). [edit] done [/edit]

JR

PS: Next two man lift is my in-wall air conditioner/heat pump at 95# that died christmas morning. My next door neighbor offered to lend me his son (grandson) to lift it, one night this week. He says the kid will probably lift it himself to show off. At 4' up in the air, it is a struggle for two (old) men.
Cancel the "cancel culture", do not support mob hatred.
JR.

Post by JR. »

mediatechnology wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:57 pm
JR. wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:36 am This week my flag attachment point broke. I fixed it with a cable tie but these have low tensile strength so not a permanent fix. I may buy a smaller flag to reduce the wind loading.
Hard to find good flagpoles. Most of the ones I can get are thin-walled aluminum tubing. I have to keep shortening them. I'm about to abandon the current mount however because the Oak has almost completely swallowed it in bark.
My (lifetime warranty) manual can opener broke again... (It was replaced free once already). Shipping it back for replacement will cost about the same as buying a new one.... :o

There are more expensive ones for sale, but they do not appear to be any better... this time the teeth on the cogs that turn the cutting wheel wore down. Apparently steel(?) too cheap to hold up to normal use.
Try the KitchenAid: https://www.amazon.com/KitchenAid-Gourm ... can+opener

I liked mine so much I gave them as gifts LOL.
And also bought a spare.
We don't open many cans though but when we do this one rocks.
Well my latest POS hand can opener just crapped out after less than one year... It would cost more to mail it back than buy a new one so whatever. IMO the lifetime warranty is a bit of a scam...

I decided to bit the bullet and buy one that Wayne recommended... They cost 2x or more than the POS that just broke, perhaps the market is applying price arbitrage for results.

I could buy a cheap electric for little more, but I don't like the idea of the germs that can accumulate on a countertop can opener. I probably need to start researching, I suspect somebody makes one with detachable cutter wheel, so it can be cleaned.

JR

PS: I can probably weasel a free opener without mailing the broken one back... these days they will accept a digital photo, but I am not sure I even care... come to think about it, the last free replacement never arrived.
JR.

Post by JR. »

Found one

Has removable cutter that can be cleaned, hopefully replaceable too...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000 ... UTF8&psc=1

Only $2.35 more...than hand crank :oops:

JR
mediatechnology

We don't open many cans so probably don't go through can openers as fast.

Looking for a good jar opener though.
JR.

Post by JR. »

mediatechnology wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:49 pm We don't open many cans so probably don't go through can openers as fast.
I open a few a week, not a lot, but enough apparently. Maybe it's the cheap walmart tin cans. :lol:

I suspect most of the cheap can openers use the similar design and components, and the same exact marketing (lifetime warranty that is not worth pursuing).

Looking for a good jar opener though.
I suspect the rubber pads work for stuck jar lids... I have also seen some V shaped gadgets you screw under a cupboard that you wedge the jar anto and it grips the lid. The ball jar type lids respond well to running hot water over them (expanding the steel parts and loosening dried up crust.)

======
I keep an old pair of vise-grips in my silverware drawer for balky screw type bottle caps. My old arthritic hands don't tolerate the stress well.

All my beer bottles use crimped on bottle caps so I have a proper bottle cap opener screwed to the front of my kitchen counter. That reminds me it's almost beer o'clock. :D

JR
JR.

Post by JR. »

I did a post mortem on the failed can opener and this time a few cogs (teeth) on the drive wheel are bent over causing them to interfere and not mesh properly. The teeth are supposed to mesh with teeth on the cutter so it rotates the cutting blade edge and pierces the can lid more easily.

This is not very different from the last opener failure when the drive handle cammed out from not being able to handle the torque I applied. I am a weak old fart, especially my fingers, so these openers are crapo. :roll:

Perhaps the walmart tin cans are stronger than the steel and plastic used to make the can openers.

JR

[update] The replacement can openers showed up today... The kitchenaid that Wayne likes feels heavier but looks like the same technology (but not the exact same parts like I've seen used in different cheap openers). It is hard to tell the strength of the steel cogs from simple inspection, but the kitchenaid "looks like" a step up or better unit (heavier so feels more expensive).

The electric can opener that was only a few $ more, with removable cutting blade (so it can go in the dishwasher) arrived and looks decent. Now I need to just find an empty outlet on my busy kitchen counter. :oops:

The rap against typical electric can openers is that the cutter can not be well cleaned easily. Now I can't wait to open me some cannage. :lol:

[/update]
Last edited by JR. on Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
JR.

Post by JR. »

Well it didn't take long for the next thing to fail. My outdoor thermometer outside my kitchen window got blown off the sill by the wind and smashed by the concrete deck out back. I had extended it out a little away from the window hoping to get more accurate readings (in my judgement it reads high due to direct sunlight and heat trapped in the window sill area. ) My fix for that led to it's ultimate demise.

I am now uncertain of how I will replace it. If I do the same thing, I will get the same result. I am not enthusiastic about a remote temp gadget, but I am warming to it, if it delivers better accuracy.

I invite advice/opinions, from this renowned group. :D

JR

Note: My logging temp/humidity device in my laundry room registered high 90% humidity with dryer running and vent closed off.
mediatechnology

I have Oregon Scientific wireless temperature/humidity senders and receivers.

The system supports three channels I have one outdoors, one garage and one basement along with three base units.

Also have the rain gauge.

They've been very reliable though I would use good batteries in the outdoor units if you want them to have good range at low temps.

Oregon Scientific: http://store.oregonscientific.com/us/we ... tions.html
JR.

Post by JR. »

I guess you could say I didn't wait long enough for purchase advice feedback... My new remote thermometer arrived today. :lol:

ACU-RITE wireless indoor/outdoor for<$18.

So far i really like the visibility of outdoor temp with digital presentation (note I didn't say accuracy). I know my old conventional thermometers were all over the place.

I am paying close attention to outdoor temps because my thru wall heat pump shifts from compressor heat pump to resistance heat at around 45' outside... 5.6A for heat pump heat, and 15A+ for resistance heat... That seems significant.

I am not looking forward to more batteries to replace but such is life.

JR